"They're both doing well today," Humberto Ascanio said. "Megahertz really likes the turf course down here I think, which may have made the difference. It was a strange race and had no pace, but Alex (Solis) rode her very well and kept her up closer that normal because of it.
"But they'll both probably be pointed toward the Yellow Ribbon (at Santa Anita) and races like that out here because (Frankel) has so many other turf fillies in the East, like Heat Haze, Zenda, Pertuisane and even a couple others. These two also run very well out here so it makes sense to keep them here."
Champion Golden Apples, who finished across the line in second with Tates Creek and Dublino in the Mabee, will continue on to defend her title in the Beverly D Stakes (gr. IT) at Arlington Park on Aug. 16, trainer Ben Cecil said.
"She's well today," Cecil said. "I'm a little disappointed, but she's fine and that's what counts."
Most Popular Stories
- Game On Dude Captures Record Third Big 'Cap
- California Chrome Shines Again in San Felipe
- Featured Horse Profile: Palace Malice
- Palace Malice Returns a Winner in GP Handicap
- Ring Weekend Springs Tampa Bay Derby Upset
- Sahara Sky Storms to Second San Carlos Win
- Top Billing Off Derby Trail With Fracture
- Winning Prize Streaks Home in Kilroe Mile
- Indian Charlie Son Drills Fast Furlong at OBS
- Euphrosyne Elevated to Honeybee Victory