Golden Apples underwent surgery to remove chips from both ankles late last year and only returned to Cecil's care at the end of March. She has not raced since a runner-up finish in the Matriarch Stakes (gr. IT) at Hollywood Park on December 1.
"I think it's a good weight," Cecil said. "They're really good down here (at Del Mar) with the weights and probably gave her consideration for the layoff. She carried 120 last year and got beat, but she's a different horse this year."
Hall of Fame jockey Gary Stevens has the call on Irish-bred Golden Apples in the Mabee, his first time aboard the 5-year-old bay mare. Patrick Valenzuela was originally set to ride, but opted to pilot the Bobby Frankel-trained Tates Creek, who is riding a four-race win streak, instead.
"I think Gary will suit her fine," Cecil said. "So it all worked out well."
Golden Apples had her final Mabee workout on Monday, logging five furlongs in 1:03 2/5 over Del Mar's firm turf course.
Others expected for the $400,000 Mabee include Dublino, Megahertz and Magic Mission.
Most Popular Stories
- Constitution to Make Stakes Debut in FL Derby
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- Jockey Club 2014 Fact Book Posted Online
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- That Handicapping Show: Rebel Stakes
- Jockey Von Rosen Suffers Serious Injury
- ThistleDown Racino Meet to Begin April 19
- New York Owner/Breeder Bomze Dies at 76
- Effort to Resolve VA Dates Fails Again
- Maryland-Based Owner Heft Dies at 94