With champion 3-year-old filly and 2004 Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) winner Ashado on the sidelines, Gary Tanaka's Star Parade heads a field of nine entered for the $300,000-added Louisville Breeders'Cup Handicap (gr. II) at Churchill Downs Friday.The Louisville BC tops the five stakes on the Kentucky Oaks undercard.The Darrell Vienna-trained Star Parade just missed after a troubled journey in a narrow loss to Dream of Summer in the $500,000 Apple Blossom.
Veteran jockey Patrick Valenzuela picks up the mount of the Argentine-bred 6-year-old who won the Milady Breeders' Cup (gr. I) last summer at Hollywood Park.
The 3-1 morning line choice, Star Parade has a record of 6-6-2 in 20 races and has earned $759,782. B.A. Man, Inc.'s Island Sand was runner-up to Ashado in last year's Kentucky Oaks and won the Acorn (gr. I) for trainer Larry Jones. Mike Smith will be in the irons as she looks to snap a six-race losing streak in the Louisville Breeders' Cup.
Other contenders include Two Trail Souix, winner of the Bayakoa at Oaklawn Park; Chou Croute Handicap winner Storm's Darling; Molly Pitcher Breeders' Cup (gr. II) winner La Reason; and multiple stakes winners Shadow Cast and Tempus Fugit. $300,000-added Louisville Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II, 3:54 p.m.), fillies and mares 3 & up, 1 1/16 miles)
PP. Horse, Jockey, weight, ML Odds
1. La Reason (KY), Javier Castellano, 113, 20/1
2. Two Trail Sioux (KY), Jerry Bailey, 116, 4/1
3. Star Parade (ARG), Patrick Valenzuela, 117, 3/1
4. Personal Legend (KY), John Velazquez, 115, 6/1
5. Resplendency (KY), Rafael Bejarano, 114, 6/1
6. Shadow Cast (KY), Robby Albarado, 115, 5/1
7. Tempus Fugit (KY), Justin Vitek, 112, 15/1
8. Storm's Darling (KY), Eddie Martin, Jr., 115, 5/1
9. Island Sand (KY), Mike Smith, 115, 8/1