Graded stakes winners Bohemian Lady and Josh's Madelyn lead a field of 10 entered in Saturday's $175,000 Turfway Breeders' Cup (gr. III) for fillies and mares at 1 1/16 miles at Turfway Park.
Trainer Todd Pletcher won this race in 2003 with Smok'n Frolic and will attempt to do it once again with Padua Stables' Bohemian Lady, 3-1 on the morning line. The 4-year-old daughter of Carson City came off a three-month layoff to win by six lengths in her most recent start, an allowance race at Saratoga. She won the 2004 Cicada (gr. III) at Aqueduct. She is graded stakes-placed this year when third in the Shuvee Handicap (gr. II) at Belmont two starts ago.
Josh's Madelyn has not reached the winner's circle since winning the Raven Run Stakes (gr. II) at Keeneland last October, but since then she has run six times at six different tracks against some notably tough competition, including Madcap Escapade and Halory Leigh. Saturday will be her seventh consecutive track change but if she can put it all together and run to the form she showed last October trainer Larry Jones and new jockey Craig Perret may be in for a big run. Josh's Madelyn ran fifth in the Gardenia Handicap (gr. III) at Ellis Park in he most recent start Aug. 20.$175,000 Turfway Breeders' Cup (gr. III), fillies & mares 3 & up, 1 1/16 miles
PP. Horse (ML Odds, Jockey, Weight)
1. Miss Fortunate (5-1, Larry Melancon, 120)
2. Tango for Tips (30-1, John McKee, 118)
3. Bohemian Lady (3-1, Rafael Bejarano, 118)
4. Sheer Luck (12-1, Calvin Borel, 118)
5. Quick Temper (10-1, Patrick Valenzuela, 118)
6. Tempus Fugit (4-1, Jesus Castanon, 120)
7. My Ro (9-2, Mark Guidry, 116)
8. Whoopi Cat (10-1, Gary Stevens, 116)
9. Josh's Madelyn (6-1, Craig Perret, 116)
10. Winning Season (15-1, Brian Peck, 112)