The grade III $150,000 Safely Kept Breeders' Cup, scheduled for Oct. 15, will now be contested on Sunday, Oct. 16. This is the first time the Million has ever been cancelled due to rain, and it has only rained during one other running in 1995, said Mike Gathagan, communications director for the Maryland Jockey Club..The national weather service has issued a flood watch for the area.
Heavy rain in the Baltimore-Washington, D.C.-area has forced Saturday's Maryland Million card at Laurel Park to be postponed until next Saturday, Oct. 15.Horses that were pre-entered for the 12-race program for the offspring of Maryland sires are eligible to compete. The post position draw will be Wednesday, October 12. Post time for the card will be 12:15 p.m. "We are extremely disappointed with the action we had to take as a result of the torrential rain we received," said Lou Raffetto, chief operating officer for the Maryland Jockey Club. "After consulting with the Maryland Million officials we made a collective decision to cancel. We would not have done them justice by conducting racing on a day such as this."