Since arriving in the United States in the summer of 2004, Barancella shows only one victory in six races, but the chestnut 5-year-old came within three-quarters of a length from winning two grade I stakes. She was second in Keeneland's Queen Elizabeth Cup in 2004 and a fast-closing but troubled fourth in Woodbine Park's E. P. Taylor last October.Trainer Ben Cecil has entered two mares, Bond Deal and Tanaka's Flip Flop.Bond Deal is coming off a two-length allowance win at Golden Gate last Dec. 15, while Flip Flop has not raced since finishing 12th in the Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Turf (gr. IT) on Oct. 29. Prior to that, she was second by a length to Megahertz in the Yellow Ribbon Stakes (gr. IT).
Sunday's San Gorgonio will be preceded by the $75,000 San Miguel Stakes for 3-year-olds at six furlongs. Herman Sarkowsky's One Union returns to action in the San Miguel after fading to fourth on Sept. 7 in the Del Mar Futurity (gr. II) won by Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) champion Stevie Wonderboy.$150,000 San Gorgonio Handicap (gr. IIT, Race 8, 4:08 p.m.), Fillies & Mares 4 & Up, 1 1/8 miles (turf)
PP. Horse, Weight, Jockey
1. Bond Deal (IRE), 115, Jose Valdivia, Jr.
2. Ticker Tape (GB), 117, Kent J. Desormeaux
3. Royal Copenhagen (FR), 115, David R. Flores
4. Star Parade (ARG), 117, Martin A. Pedroza
5. Flip Flop (FR), 115, Tyler Baze
6. Barancella (FR), 115, Patrick A. Valenzuela
7. Movie Star (BRZ), 115, Garrett K. Gomez
8. Dream's (CHI), 116, Alex O. Solis
9. Silver Cup (IRE), 114, Victor Espinoza
10. Halo Ola (ARG), 115, Tony Farina
11. Stage Shy (KY), 114, Corey S. Nakatani