Mike McCarty's Doctor Decherd, who won the Aventura Stakes Jan. 7 at Gulfstream Park by a nose over Itsallboutthechase, ships to the Southwest to run in the $100,000 Borderland Derby on Sunday at New Mexico's Sunland Park.
The Steve Asmussen-trained son of Louis Quatorze
, a distant sixth in the Holy Bull (gr. III) at the Florida track a month after the Aventura, breezed six furlongs in 1:15 over the New Mexico track on Monday.
Another prominent shipper for the 1 1/16-mile event is David Lanzman Racing Stable's Plagiarist. The Doug O'Neill trainee will stretch out to two turns for the first time following a disappointing eighth-place effort in the Sunshine Millions Dash at Santa Anita on Jan. 28. He had scored an impressive 8 ¾-length victory in his racing debut at six furlongs at Hollywood Park.
The Borderland Derby is a prep for Sunland Park's $600,000 WinStar Derby on April 1. $100,000 Borderland Derby (Race 11, 4:55 p.m.), 3-year-olds, 1 1/16 miles
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, ML Odds
1. Disappearing Trick (KY), Ken S. Tohill, 122, 6/1
2. Beck and Call (KY), Brian D. Peck, 118, 10/1
3. Doctor Decherd (KY), Shaun Bridgmohan, 122, 5/2
4. Plagiarist (CA), Kent J. Desormeaux, 116, 3/1
5. Our Father (MD), Omar Figueroa, 116, 4/1
6. Indy Wildcat (KY), Michael C. Baze, 116, 8/1
7. Might Be Hooked (KY), Michael G. Ziegler, 122, 15/1
8. El Salvador (KY), Wilson O. Dieguez, 118, 12/1
9. Belligerence (FL), Quyet E. Bui, 118, 15/1
10. Wait in Line (FL), Alfredo J. Juarez, Jr., 118, 15/1