Charles D. Miller's Prospective Saint, coming off a second-place finish in the Princess Rooney (gr. I) during Calder Race Course's "Summit of Speed" July 15, is the 119-pound top weight for Saturday's $150,000 Gardenia Handicap (gr. III) at Ellis Park.
Eleven fillies and mares were entered for the one-mile Gardenia.
Trained by Martin Wolfson, Prospective Saint won her only other start this year, taking an overnight stakes at Calder by five lengths. The 5-year-old Saint Ballado mare won three of seven in 2005, including the $100,000 Shocker T. Handicap at Calder, and finished second in the Chilukki (gr. II) at Churchill Downs in November.
In the six-furlong Princess Rooney, Prospective Saint took the lead in the stretch before giving way to 23-1 shot Malibu Mint at the eighth pole. Regular rider Eddie Castro retains the mount.
Character Builder ran third to Happy Ticket and Oonagh Maccool in the Fleur de Lis Handicap (gr. II) at Churchill Downs June 17.$150,000 Gardenia Handicap (gr. III, Race 10, 4:57 p.m.), Fillies & Mares 3 & Up, 1 Mile
PP. Horse, Weight, Jockey
1. Ten Carat Ruby (KY), 113, Corey J. Lanerie
2. Maggie Slew (IN), 112, Randall Toups
3. Starry Pie (OK), 112, Miguel Mena
4. Plaid (KY), 112, Brian Dale Peck
5. Sea Siren (FL), 112, Larry Melancon
6. Island Escape (KY), 112, William D. Troilo
7. Fast Navy (BRZ), 113, Brice Blanc
8. Prospective Saint (KY), 119, Eddie Castro
9. Beau Watch (KY), 115, Jason P. Lumpkins
10. Fly Away Angel (KY), 113, John McKee
11. Character Builder (KY), 115, Brian J. Hernandez, Jr.