Ten fillies and mares, including the supplemental entry of grade I winner Sharp Lisa, are scheduled to line up in Saturday's $200,000 Palomar Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIT) at 1 1/16 miles on the Jimmy Durante Turf Course.
Amorama, who has shown an affinity for the Durante course with two wins in four starts, leads the field. Trainer Julio Canani's 5-year-old French-bred daughter of Sri Pekan just missed in last year's Palomar when Intercontinental, the eventual Eclipse winner for turf females, held off her late charge by 1 1/4 lengths. Amorama won the 2004 Del Mar Oaks (gr. IT).
Shining Energy, who won last year's San Clemente Handicap (gr. IIT) over the course, and multiple stakes winners and millionaires Island Fashion and Star Parade, help make the field extra tough. Sharp Lisa is a grade I winner on dirt who won the Santa Barbara Handicap (gr. IIT) at Santa Anita last spring.
Shining Energy, winner of the Gamely Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IT) at Hollywood Park on May 26, has been assigned high weight of 120 pounds.
Island Fashion, a $2 million earner in her career, was last seen finishing third, beaten a nose and a neck in Del Mar's $400,000 John C. Mabee Handicap (gr. IT). Ahead of her in the 1 1/8-mile race were Dancing Edie and Moscow Burning, both of whom are skipping the Palomar.
Mea Domina and Star Parade both are multiple stakes winners, with the latter banking $1.2 million and the former putting forth a creditable third-place finish in Del Mar's Osunitas Handicap in her first start of the year after a nine-month layoff. Tyler Baze rides Mea Domina and regular rider Martin Pedroza has the call on Star Parade.
The Irish-bred Round Heels is yet to win in three starts in the United States after racing 12 times in France. In the irons will be David Flores.$200,000 Palomar Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIT, Race 8, 5:30 p.m.), Fillies & Mares 3 & Up, 1 1/16 Miles (Turf)
PP. Horse, Weight, Jockey
1. Three Degrees (IRE), 115, Alex O. Solis
2. Polyfirst (FR), 115, Norberto Arroyo, Jr.
3. Star Parade (ARG), 118, Martin A. Pedroza
4. Amorama (FR), 116, Corey S. Nakatani
5. Island Fashion (KY), 116, Jon K. Court
6. Sharp Lisa (KY), 119, David R. Flores
7. Singalong (GB), 115, David Cohen
8. Shining Energy (KY), 120, Victor Espinoza
9. Berbatim (KY), 114, Aaron T. Gryder
10. Mea Domina (KY), 119, Tyler BazeAlso Eligible
11. Bond Deal (IRE), 114, Brice Blanc
12. Lock And Key (IRE), 113, Jose Valdivia, Jr.