Martin Sentenced in Illegal Gambling Case

Trainer Gregory Martin, who in March pleaded guilty to charges for his role in an alleged multimillion-dollar illegal gambling ring, was sentenced to two years probation with six months home confinement Sept. 26 during an appearance in a New York federal court.

Martin, 39, who is the son of Hall of Fame trainer Frank Martin, also received a $2,000 fine from U.S. District Judge Miriam Goldman Cedarbaum during a hearing held in the Southern District of New York courthouse in New York City.

The younger Martin was one of 17 men indicted in January 2005 for participation in the alleged gambling ring, an operation officials say involved, among other things, an estimated $200 million bet through off-shore and Native American rebate operations in violation of the Travel Act and Wire Act.

Martin was specifically accused of illegally administering a baking soda, sugar, and water mix (commonly known as a milkshake) to the horse A One Rocket just prior to the runner's 10-length victory in a Dec. 18, 2003, race at Aqueduct. Martin confessed to the occurrence during a March 22 court appearance at which he pleaded guilty to two federal charges of conspiracy to commit wire fraud.

Prior to his sentencing, the trainer faced up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine. He is one of nine to plead guilty from the original group charged in the 88-count federal indictment.

Among those who pleaded guilty are Richard Hart and Jonathan Broome, the former general manager and assistant general manager, respectively, of Lakes Region Greyhound Park in New Hampshire. Hart in July received two years probation with six months home confinement, while Broome received one year of probation with six months home confinement during an April hearing.

According to the terms of the sentencing, Martin paid a $100 "special assessment" on Sept. 26, and will be required to pay the $2,000 fine in monthly installments during his two-year probation period. Formerly based at Aqueduct, Martin had his training license revoked by the New York State Racing and Wagering Board shortly after he was indicted in 2005.

Neither Martin nor his New York attorney, David S. Smith, were immediately available for comment. A spokeswoman with the U.S. District Attorney Southern District said it was against the office's policy to comment publicly about any case. The legal action is still active against the remaining defendants.