The Todd Pletcher-trained High Cotton tops a field of nine 3-year-olds entered in the $250,000 Pegasus Stakes (gr. III) on Friday night at the Meadowlands. The 1 1/8-mile event on the dirt is carded as the eighth of 11 races, worth a combined $678,500, on Friday night.
Peachtree Stable's High Cotton has won three of seven starts this season, including the Northern Dancer (gr. III) on June 17 at Churchill Downs. The colt's best showing was a near miss to Deputy Glitters in the Ohio Derby (gr. II) on July 15 at Thistledown. His accomplishments also include victories in the Rushaway Stakes at Turfway Park and the Sir Barton at Pimlico. In his last start, the son of Dixie Union out of the A.P. Indy mare Happy Tune finished fifth in a career test against Bernardini in the Travers (gr. I) on Aug. 26 at Saratoga. High Cotton, the 2-1 morning line favorite, is one of three entered by Pletcher, who also has Fairbanks and Roman Dynasty in the line-up.
Trainer Bobby Frankel is looking forward to the return of the Frank Stronach-owned On Board Again in the Pegasus. The son of Awesome Again broke his maiden by 4 3/4 lengths with a powerful move around the turn last January at Gulfstream Park before being sidelined. Awfully Smart, a grade III winner from the Alan Goldberg barn, is among the leading contenders. Diamond Stripes is undefeated in two starts for Richard Dutrow. Harborage has won a stakes for Gary Contessa. And Hesanoldsalt finished fourth in the Travers for Nick Zito.$250,000 Pegasus Stakes (gr. III, Race 8, 10:17 p.m.), 3-Year-Olds, 1 1/8 Miles
PP. Horse, Weight, Jockey, ML Odds
1. On Board Again (FL), 118, Javier Castellano, 7/2
2. High Cotton (KY), 122, John R. Velazquez, 2/1
3. Harborage (KY), 120, Michael J. Luzzi, 8/1
4. Fairbanks (KY), 118, Joe Bravo, 8/1
5. Diamond Stripes (FL), 118, Edgar S. Prado, 4/1
6. Hesanoldsalt (KY), 118, Eibar Coa, 10/1
7. Awfully Smart (KY), 120, Ramon A. Dominguez, 8/1
8. Roman Dynasty (KY), 118, Christopher P. DeCarlo, 15/1
9. Gottcha Gold (FL), 118, Eddie Castro, 12/1