Live Oak Plantation's Can't Beat It looks like the horse to beat in a field of a dozen 3-year-olds entered in the Calder Derby presented by Woodford Reserve (gr. III) at 1 1/8 miles on turf Saturday.A homebred son of Atticus, Can't Beat It finished a game second in the American Derby (gr. IIT) at Arlington Park last out on July 22 for Calder-based trainer Marty Wolfson. He appears to be the strong half of the Live Oak-Wolfson entry with Elizabul. The son of Eltish does have credentials of his own after an impressive allowance score over the course last out on Aug. 18.Can't Beat It was beaten only a half-length in the American Derby after considerable trouble finding racing room in the stretch in a bulky field of 14. Can't Beat It finished fifth behind Barbaro in the Tropical Park Derby (gr. IIIT) at Calder on New Year's Day before winning his next two starts at Gulfstream Park, including the Hallandale Stakes.Can't Beat It faces a pair of shippers with turf stakes experience: Murch comes in from Kentucky for trainer Helen Pitts, and Desert Wheat arrives from New York for trainer Bill Mott.Murch is a chestnut son of Mr. Greeley that finished a game third last out in the Saranac Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Saratoga on Sept. 3. He finished sixth in the American Derby, rallying from last of 14 after the first half-mile.Desert Wheat is a Louisiana-bred son of Wheaton and finished fifth in the Saranac and fourth in the American Derby in his only two starts since joining the Mott barn in New York. He campaigned in Louisiana and Texas early in the season.
$200,000 Calder Derby presented by Woodford Reserve (gr. III, Race 7, 3:39 p.m.), 3-Year-olds, 1 1/8 Miles (Turf)
PP. Weight, Jockey
1. Famous Frolic (FL), 117, Raymundo D. Fuentes
2. How's Your Halo (FL), 115, Juan C. Leyva
3. Can't Beat It (KY), 117, Rene R. Douglas
4. Fancy Silver (FL), 115, Daniel Centeno
5. Murch (KY), 115, Mark Guidry
6. Croton Road (KY), 115, Manuel Aguilar
7. Rehoboth (FL), 117, Manuel Aguilar
8. World Battle (FL), 117, Manoel R. Cruz
9. Desert Wheat (LA), 115 Jose A. Santos
10. Elizabul (FL), Gelding, 115, Abel Castellano, Jr.
11. Jet Propulsion (FL), 119, Elvis Trujillo
12. Gin Rummy King (FL), 117, Eduardo O. Nunez