Irish-bred Rebel Rebel, shipped to Southern California from Rick Dutrow Jr.'s Eastern stable after a neck loss to Becrux in the Woodbine Mile (Can-I) in Canada, heads a field of 11 in Sunday's Morvich Handicap (gr. IIIT), closing day of the Oak Tree meet at Santa Anita.To be ridden for the first time by Alex Solis in the 6 1/2-furlong test on Santa Anita's hillside turf course, Rebel Rebel won Belmont Park's Poker Handicap (gr. IIIT) in July and has raced nine times in North America. The 4-year-old competed once previously at Santa Anita last January. He finished four lengths behind The Tin Man while running sixth in the San Marcos Handicap (gr. IIT). Rebel Rebel has earned $605,835 from a 5-4-2 record in 20 lifetime starts.His opposition in the Morvich includes the hard-hitting Buckland Manor, most recently fourth and 2 1/2 lengths behind victorious Aragorn in the Oak Tree Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IIT) on Oct. 7. Trained by Paco Gonzalez for Trudy McCaffery and John Toffan, Buckland Manor has posted a 4-5-4 mark in 25 career starts for earnings of $496,520. Jose Valdivia Jr. will be back aboard.
Following Sunday's program, live racing will return to Santa Anita on Dec. 26 with the opening of the track's four-month winter meet.$100,000 Morvich Handicap (gr. IIIT, Race 7, 3:06 p.m.), 3 & Up, About 6 1/2 Furlongs (Turf)
Oak Tree At Santa Anita - October 29th, 2006 - Race 7
PP. Horse, Weight, Jockey
1. Jungle Prince (KY), 116, Agapito Delgadillo
2. Houseofroyalhearts (KY), 114, David R. Flores
3. Moth Ball (GB), 113, Michael C. Baze
4. Rebel Rebel (IRE), 119, Alex O. Solis
5. Buckland Manor (KY), 115, Jose Valdivia, Jr.
6. Apalachee Tiger (FL), 112, Jorge F. Chavez
7. Osidy (KY), 118, Victor Espinoza
8. Railroad (FL), 115, Aaron T. Gryder
9. Margaritalosflores (KY), 112, Jon K. Court
10. Terroplane (FR), 115, Patrick A. Valenzuela
11. Captain Kurt (NZ), 114, Corey S. Nakatani