High Winds Force Aqueduct to Cancel Again

High winds again forced the cancellation of racing at Aqueduct on Sunday afternoon after the first race. The horses were in the paddock for the second race when the announcement was made.

"For the safety of everyone and the horses, we decided to cancel," said jockey John Velazquez. "It's pretty rough around the turns and to have control of the horses, it makes it difficult. The track was beautiful. It's just that the wind was way too strong to have control of the horses."

Wind and heavy rain forced the cancellation of Saturday's entire live-race card at the Big A.

Two one-mile stakes races for juveniles scheduled for Sunday – the $100,000-added Tempted (gr. III) for fillies and the $100-000-added Nashua (gr. III) – were re-scheduled for Nov. 3.

Parking rain checks were available for up to an hour after the announced cancellation, as were rain checks for Equestris. Fans were encouraged to keep their programs, which they could exchange for a free program at any day during the next two weeks.

Aqueduct remained open for simulcasting on all floors until 4:30, then to the second floor from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m.