Three graded stakes for fillies and mares highlight the Preakness eve card at Pimlico Race Course May 18, with the Black-Eyed Susan (gr. II), Allaire DuPont Breeders' Cup Distaff (gr. II), and the Adena Stallions Miss Preakness Stakes (gr. III) all set to go postward.
Fillies and mares are featured in both the $95,000 The Very One, run at five furlongs on turf, and in the $95,000 Whimsical Stakes, run at six furlongs over the main track, on the 13-race card.
The $250,000 Black-Eyed Susan, going nine furlongs, is led by Zayat Stables' Baroness Thatcher, who ran second to Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) winner Rags to Riches in the Las Virgenes (gr. I) at Santa Anita in February.
The Patrick Biancone trainee is the 3-2 morning-line favorite and will be ridden by Garrett Gomez, with the pair breaking from post three.
A daughter of Johannesburg, Baroness Thatcher is 2-for-8 lifetime, having won the Santa Ysabel (gr. III) at Santa Anita Jan. 7 before finishing three-quarters of a length behind Rags to Riches in the Las Virgenes . She was fourth behind Rags to Riches in the Santa Anita Oaks (gr. I) March 11. She then finished fifth in the Stonerside Beaumont (gr. II) at Keeneland April 12.
Challenging Baroness Thatcher, will be the Todd Pletcher-trained Panty Raid, who was second in the Bourbonette (gr. III) at Turfway Park two races back. She is the second choice at 5/2.
Owned by Glencrest Farm, Panty Raid won an allowance race at Keeneland at the Black-Eyed Susan distance in her last start April 12.
Edgar Prado gets the mount aboard the daughter of Include and the pair will break from post two.
Another filly to watch is the Morris Bailey and Team Valor owned Winning Point. The Edmond Gaudet-trained daughter of Point Given finished second in the Comley Stakes (gr. II) at Aqueduct.
Luis Garcia gets the riding assignment on the 9/2 choice, with the pair breaking from post one.
The co-feature on Friday’s card is the $200,000 Allaire DuPont Breeders’ Cup Distaff Stakes (gr. II), a 1 1/16-mile event for fillies and mares. It drew a prospective field of 12 that includes grade I winner Sugar Shake and prominent stakes victors Swap Fliparoo, Fiery Pursuit, Lexi Star, Gasia, and Promenade Girl.
Trained by Bobby Frankel for Frank Stronach's Stronach Stable, Sugar Shake hasn't raced since winning the Santa Maria Handicap (gr. I) at Santa Anita in February. She began the year by winning the grade II El Encino Stakes, also at Santa Anita.
David Flores gets the call aboard the daughter of Awesome Again , with the pair breaking from post two as the 8/5 favorite.
Swap Fliparoo is filly that should not be overlooked. The Allen Jerkens-trainee scored back-to-back third-place finishes in the Rampart Handicap (gr. II) and the Bed O' Roses Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) after winning the Sabin Handicap (gr. III).
Prado will be in the irons when the pair, who is listed at 5/1 on the morning-line, breaks from post five.
The $125,000 Adena Stallions’ Miss Preakness Stakes (gr. III) drew a field of nine 3-year-old fillies for the six-furlong event, headed by trainer Mike Trombetta’s undefeated Your Flame In Me. The daughter of Boundary is 3-for-3, winning both starts last season and coming back to take the ungraded Xtra Heat at Pimlico April 28 for owner Robert Goldsmith.
Jose Caraballo gets the call aboard Your Flame In Me, with the 9/5 morning-line choice breaking from the rail.
Not to be overlooked is the Nick Zito-trained Silver Knockers. The daughter of Silver Deputy finished unplaced in the Ashland Stakes (gr. I) over the Keeneland Polytrack after finishing second in her stakes debut in the Forward Gal (gr. II) at Gulfstream Park.
Breaking from post two, Elk Manor Farm's Silver Knockers will be ridden by Joe Bravo and is listed at 5/2 on the morning line.
All the added money races except for the Whimsical will be televised live on ESPN 2.
$125,000 Adena Stallions' Miss Preakness Stakes (gr. III, Race 10, 4:40 p.m.), 3-Year-Old Fillies, 6 Furlongs
1. Your Flame in Me (Jose C. Caraballo, 9/5)
2. Silver Knockers (Joe Bravo, 5/2)
3. Acadia Breeze (Garrett K. Gomez, 8/1)
4. Five Star Daydream (Edgar S. Prado, 8/1)
5. Richwoman (Javier Castellano, 12/1)
6. You Asked (Ramon A. Dominguez, 9/2)
7. Time's Mistress (Mark Guidry, 8/1)
8. Sea the Joy (Mario G. Pino, 20/1)
9. Magnetic Miss (Calvin H. Borel, 30/1)
$200,000 Allaire DuPont Breeders' Cup Distaff Handicap (gr. II, Race 11, 5:11 p.m.), Fillies & Mares 3 & Up, 1 1/6 Miles
1. Take a Check (Luis Garcia, 20/1)
2. Sugar Shake (David R. Flores, 8/5)
3. Amandatude (Carlos H. Marquez, Jr., 15/1)
4. Leah's Secret (No Rider, 10/1)
5. Swap Fliparoo (Edgar S. Prado, 5/1)
6. Lexi Star (Ryan Fogelsonger, 15/1)
7. Gasia (Mario G. Pino, 15/1)
8. Fiery Pursuit (Mark Guidry, 10/1)
9. Kettleoneup (Calvin H. Borel, 4/1)
10. Peak Maria's Way (No Rider, 20/1)
11. Rolling Sea (Garrett K. Gomez, 12/1)
12. Promenade Girl (Jeremy Rose, 12/1)
$250,000 Black-Eyed Susan Stakes (gr. II, Race 12, 5:43 p.m.), 3-Year-Old Fillies, 1 1/8 Miles
1. Winning Point (Luis Garcia, 9/2)
2. Panty Raid (Edgar S. Prado, 5/2)
3. Baroness Thatcher (Garrett K. Gomez, 3/2)
4. Enchanting Star (Joseph Rocco, 15/1)
5. Moon Catcher (Carlos H. Marquez, Jr., 10/1)
6. Grace Happens (Mark Guidry, 15/1)
7. Fibbalator (Kendrick Carmouche, 20/1)
8. Fee Fi Fo Fum (Javier Castellano, 8/1)