Breeders' Cup Starters Arrive; Shore Do Breezes at Monmouth

Harry Aleo's Smokey Stover and Charles Laloggia's Clearly Foxy both shipped into Monmouth Park Oct. 18, and trainer Chuck Peery sent 2-year-old Shore Do out for a five-furlong breeze this morning.

Harry Aleo's Smokey Stover, winner of Monmouth's Icecapade Stakes in his last start Sept. 1, arrived in the Monmouth stable area at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 18 after a flight from northern California to prepare for the $2-million TVG Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I).

Charles Laloggia's Clearly Foxy, unbeaten in two career starts, also checked in Oct. 18 after a van ride from Woodbine. The Mark Casse trainee is entered in the $2-million Grey Goose Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I).

Trainer Greg Gilchrist took Smokey Stover back to California after his Monmouth race to prepare for the Breeders¹ Cup. The 4-year-old son of Put It Back has turned in a steady string of sharp works at Bay Meadows.

Clearly Foxy, winner of the Sept. 9 Natalma Stakes last time out, is one of three Breeders' Cup runners expected to ship from Canada. She will be joined by the Mac Benson-trained Arravale, pointing toward the Emirates Airline Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Turf (gr. IT), and the Reade Baker-trained Bear Now, who will start in the Emirates Airline Breeders' Cup Distaff (gr. I).

In other Breeders' Cup news from Monmouth, trainer Chuck Peery sent Shore Do, a 2-year-old Include  colt who is pre-entered in both the Bessemer Trust Breeders¹ Cup Juvenile (gr. I) and the Breeders¹ Cup Juvenile Turf, to his final drill at Monmouth Park Oct. 19. The colt breezed five furlongs in 1:02 flat over the fast main track, galloping out six furlongs in 1:15.

Shore Do, owned by the partnership of Mike Connors, Jim Hawkins and Kevin and Terry Jacobsen, finished third in the Sept. 30 Norfolk Stakes last out at Santa Anita after breaking his maiden at Del Mar in August.

"It was exactly the way we wanted him to go," the trainer said. "I think getting here early and having a work over the track will help us out on Saturday. I really didn¹t want him to do more than that. He worked in 1:12 at Santa Anita last week (Oct. 12). This time, I wanted to leave something in the tank."