Aqueduct canceled racing Jan. 30 due to high winds.

Aqueduct canceled racing Jan. 30 due to high winds.

Barbara Livingston

Aqueduct Racing Cancelled Nov. 15

Management, Jockeys Agree to Reschedule Card as Rain Impacts Track Conditions

Live racing at Aqueduct Race Track was cancelled after the second race Nov. 15 due to unsatisfactory track conditions, although the facility remained open for simulcasting.

With steady rain falling in Jamaica, NY, throughout the morning, the track was listed as muddy heading into the day's nine-race card. Before the start of the 12:30 p.m. card, however, the track was downgraded to sloppy and was sealed.

In the first race, Vorylas, a longshot trained by Frank Martin Sr. and ridden by Raul Rojas, was eased. In the second race, the first and second choices in the betting (Christophe Clement trainee Silver Paradise and the Ralph D'Alessandro-trained Jeannine Joy) were eased in the stretch by jockeys Javier Castellano and Channing Hill.

As the weather continued to affect the track, with winds gusting up to 23 miles per hour, management and jockeys agreed to cancel the card.

Aqueduct canceled its nine-race program Nov. 3 when jockeys decided they would not ride due to extremely windy conditions caused by the remnants of Hurricane Noel. The winds, blowing up to 25-30 miles per hour before the card began, were expected to increase in strength later that afternoon.

The Nov. 16 forecast for Jamaica calls for partly cloudy skies and a high of 45 degrees. The Nov. 17 forecast  predicts a 30% chance of precipitation.

The Nov. 15 races will be brought back as extra races during the week. Rain checks for admission, parking and programs were to be issued to racegoers until 3 p.m.

Additional Reporting by Karen M. Johnson