"She ran so awesome (in the Oaks)," Baffert said of Santa Catarina. "She ran too good to be second."
Santa Catarina was beaten by 3 ¼ lengths by Bird Town in the Oaks as the near 6-1 third choice in the full field of fillies. The bay daughter of Unbridled had just one previous start in 2002, taking an allowance/optional claiming event in March by five lengths. Overall Santa Catarina, a $950,000 yearling purchase, has earned $450,940 from a career line of 7-2-3-1.
Baffert said that The Thoroughbred Corp.'s Atlantic Ocean, ninth in the Kentucky Oaks, has been sent to her owner's Bradbury, Calif., farm.
"She needs some time," Baffert said. "She's fine, she just needs a break."
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Leishmaniasis: No Longer Just a Foreign Animal Disease
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- Santa Ana Features Return of Emollient
- McGaughey Encouraged by Honor Code's Effort
- Jockey Von Rosen Suffers Serious Injury
- Rosario Rides General a Rod in Florida Derby
- Game On Dude Heads World's Best Racehorses