Marchfield and Artie Hot, both graded stakes winners a year ago, will look to add another black-type victory to their ledgers when they do battle in the $150,000 Eclipse Stakes (Can-III) June 6 on the Woodbine Polytrack.
A field of nine older horses were entered for the 1 1/16-mile Eclipse, which is the feature of Woodbine’s 10-race card. Post time is set for 4:24 p.m. EDT.
Melnyk Racing Stables’ 5-year-old homebred Marchfield won the Autumn (Can-II) last November to record his only graded stakes victory. The Mark Casse trainee won by a half-length, while current Eclipse entrant Ice Bear was only three-quarters of a length back in third.
Marchfield, a son of A.P. Indy—Pico Teneriffe, by Red Ransom, finished eighth in the San Pasqual Handicap (gr. II) and sixth in the San Antonio Handicap (gr. II) in his only two starts this season. The 5-2 favorite will be ridden by Patrick Husbands.
Tucci Stables’ Artie Hot will be making his 5-year-old debut for Nick Gonzalez. He was fourth to Marchfield in the Autumn last out, but won the Seagram Cup (Can-III) earlier in 2008. A gelded son of Black Minnaloushe, Artie Hot (8-1) has won five of 30 lifetime starts.
The 3-1 second choice is Bushwood Stables’ Independent George trained by Graham Motion. The son of Cozzene enters of a runner-up finish in the Henry Clark Stakes April 5 at Pimlico.
$150,000 Eclipse Stakes (gr. III, Race 8, 4:24 p.m.), 3 & Up, 1 1/16 Miles (Poly)
PP. Horse, Jockey, Trainer
1. Mike Fox (ON), E Wilson, 115, B R Smither 8/1
2. Marchfield (ON), P Husbands, 123, M E Casse 5/2
3. Equitable (KY), E R Da Silva, 115, M Pierce 4/1
4. Approval Rating (FL), J McAleney, 115, T Jordan 8/1
5. Ice Bear (ON), C Sutherland, 117, M Benson 6/1
6. Independent George (KY), K Carmouche, 115, H G Motion 3/1
7. Artie Hot (KY), T Pizarro, 121, N Gonzalez 8/1
8. Judiths Wild Rush (KY), D Garcia, 115, G E Seymour 15/1
9. Cool Gator (ON), E Ramsammy, 115, I Black 10/1