The Christophe Clement trained duo of Sal the Barber and Armstrong Mill lead a field of eight in the $100,000-added Saranac (gr. IIIT) Sept. 6 at Saratoga.
The Saranac, a 1 3/16-mile grass event for 3-year-olds, goes to post just prior to the $300,000 Spinaway (gr. I) on the 11-race Saratoga program. Post time is scheduled for 5:22 p.m.
A son of Alphabet Soup—Alya, by Deputy Minister, Sal the Barber was installed as the 2-1 morning-line favorite. The colt has not been off the board in five starts in his career—all of them coming this season. He won the Don Jack Stakes in July at Belmont Park and most recently, was runner-up in the National Museum of Racing Hall of Fame Stakes (gr. IIT) Aug. 14 at the Spa.
Ramon Dominguez will have the mount on Sal the Barber, who is a homebred of Lewis Schaffel.
Overbrook Farm’s Armstrong Mill, by Dynaformer, makes his stakes debut. He broke his maiden in May at Belmont and returned to run third in allowance company in July. Rajiv Maragh rides.
was third in the Hall of Fame Stakes for Todd Pletcher and also has a win and a runner-up in six starts this season. He is the 5-2 second choice on the morning line.
$100,000 Saranac (gr. IIIT, Race 9, 5:22 p.m.), 3YO 1 3/16 Miles (Turf)
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, Trainer
1. Uncle T Seven (NY), J R Velazquez, 121, J Morrison
2. El Crespo (KY), S Bridgmohan, 121, G R Arnold, II
3. Reservoir (ON), A Garcia, 117, J Carey
4. Armstrong Mill (KY), R Maragh, 117, C Clement
5. Sal the Barber (KY), R A Dominguez, 119, C Clement
6. Al Khali (KY), K J Desormeaux, 117, W I Mott
7. Lime Rickey (KY), J Castellano, 117, F A Alexander
8. Blank Check (KY), E S Prado, 117, T M Pompay