A daughter of Dynaformer trained by Jonathan Sheppard for owner-breeder George Strawbridge Jr., Rainbow View will concede from three to nine pounds to her six competitors in the Nassau, which will be contested at a mile on grass.
Rainbow View began her career on a successful note while racing in England and Ireland for trainer John Gosden. As a 2-year-old, she won the Meon Valley Stud Fillies' Mile (Eng-I) and two other group stakes and last year accounted for the Coolmore Fusaichi Pegasus Matron Stakes (Ire-I). Returned to North America last fall, Rainbow View finished second in Woodbine’s E.P. Taylor Stakes (Can-IT) before a fifth-place effort in the Breeders’ Cup Ladies Classic (gr. I) at Santa Anita. The mare has won both of her 2010 starts, including the Gallorette Handicap (gr. III) on the May 15 Preakness Day card at Pimlico.
Assigned second high weight among the seven accomplished stakes runners entered in the Nassau is Live Oak Plantation’s Points of Grace, whose two stakes wins on grass at Woodbine include last year’s Dance Smartly Stakes (Can-IIT). The field also includes multiple grade III winner Closeout, two-time Irish group III winner Carribean Sunset, and grade II winner Missit, one of two Nassau entrants owned by Three Chimneys Racing.
Nassau Stakes (Can-IIT, Race 6, 3:34 p.m.), $300,000, Fillies And Mares 3YO & Up, One Mile. (Turf)
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, Trainer
1. Closeout (FL), J L Castanon, 120, T F Proctor
2. Miss Keller (IRE), E R Da Silva, 116, R L Attfield
3. Points of Grace (KY), L Contreras, 122, M Pierce
4. Carribean Sunset (IRE), J Valdivia, Jr., 116, C Clement
5. Missit (IRE), J C Jones, 116, R L Attfield
6. Rainbow View (KY), P Husbands, 125, J E Sheppard
7. Simply Splendid (KY), C Sutherland, 118, G Cox