The exciting victory by Blame over the previously undefeated Zenyatta in the Breeders’ Cup Classic (gr. I) at Churchill Downs (VIDEO) has been voted the 2010 National Thoroughbred Racing Association Moment of the Year.
The connections of Blame will be honored at the Eclipse Award ceremony Monday, Jan. 17, in Miami Beach, Fla., with the "NTRA Moment of the Year" award. This year’s balloting was conducted at the NTRA Web site, ntra.com, and offered voters 12 different images illustrating a wide range of human emotions as well as outstanding displays of equine athleticism. Finishing a close second was Zenyatta’s victory in last year’s Vanity Handicap (gr. I) at Hollywood Park. The images and events that fans chose from, with percentage of votes they received in parentheses, were:
• Rachel Alexandra’s upset in her 2010 debut at Fair Grounds by Zardana (0.4%)
• Eskendereya rolls home in Aqueduct’s Wood Memorial (gr. I) by nearly 10 lengths (1%)
• Blind Luck catches Evening Jewel at the wire in the Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) (2%)
• Borel works his Derby magic again as Super Saver captures the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) (1%)
• Lookin at Lucky avenges Derby loss in taking the Preakness Stakes (gr. I) (0.3%)
• Zenyatta registers win number 17, nailing St. Trinians in the final yards of the Vanity Handicap at Hollywood (33%)
• Lookin at Lucky demolishes the field in the IZOD Haskell Invitational (gr. I) at Monmouth (0.6%)
• Blame runs down Quality Road in the Whitney Handicap (gr. I) at Saratoga (0.8%)
• Calvin Borel and Javier Castellano fight in the winner’s circle following the Breeders’ Cup Marathon (1%)
• Uncle Mo stays undefeated with convincing triumph in Grey Goose Breeders’ Cup Juvenile (gr. I) (1%)
• Goldikova unleashes powerful turn of foot to win her third straight TVG Breeders’ Cup Mile (gr. IT) (19%)
• Blame wins Breeders’ Cup Classic, denying Zenyatta’s attempt for a 20th consecutive victory (36%)
The first-ever “NTRA Moment of the Year” was the touching scene involving Charismatic and jockey Chris Antley following the 1999 Belmont Stakes (gr. I). In 2008, it was Zenyatta’s win in the Breeders’ Cup Ladies’ Classic (gr. I). Last year, Zenyatta “repeated” as fans selected her triumph in the Breeders’ Cup Classic.
"The NTRA Moment of the Year award is a great way for the fans to play an active role in the Eclipse Awards ceremony," said Keith Chamblin, NTRA senior vice president. “The memory of Blame’s resolute win over a hard-charging Zenyatta will undoubtedly last a lifetime, and we are delighted to salute last November’s Breeders’ Cup Classic as the latest NTRA Moment of the Year.”
TVG will televise this year’s Eclipse Award ceremony live from Miami Beach, Fla., with coverage beginning at 6:00 p.m. (ET).