Ridden by Pat Valenzuela at 115 pounds, Icantgoforthat ran 5 1/2 furlongs in 1:03.84 and paid $21, $8 and $9. Steve Knapp is the trainer/co-owner with Andrew Broberg.
It was the first stakes win for Icantgoforthat, who had finished second in the Boo La Boo Stakes in March. Knapp claimed the In Excess filly for $50,000 in November 2001.
Theresa's Year rallied to finish second and paid $9.40 and $9. Tyler Baze rode the runner-up at 112 pounds. It was two lengths back to Kitty On The Track, with Laffit Pincay Jr. riding at 117 pounds, for a $3.80 show payoff.
Above Perfection, the 9-10 betting favorite, made a brief bid on the turn but faltered in the stretch.Icantgoforthat took the lead shortly after the break, set splits of :21.27 and :44.56. She extended her lead to four lengths on the turn and wasn't threatened in the stretch.
"She broke so quick I kind of lost my mane hold," Valenzuela said. "She's really quick so she still made the lead. We slowed 'em down pretty good and that helped my horse."
Icantgoforthat is 5-2-1 from 14 starts; the $64,260 winner's share increased her earnings to $246,504.
Knapp said Icantgoforthat would be pointed to the $250,000 Padua Stables Sprint on Sunshine Millions Day at Gulfstream Park on Jan. 25.(Chart, Equibase)
Most Popular Stories
- After the Wire: Rebel Stakes
- Gulfstream Race is 'No Contest' After Spill
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Stormy Lucy Ends Graded Drought in Santa Ana
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- KY-Bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru