Mike Mitchell hopes to break a string of seconditis with Camp Victory in Santa Anita's Columbus Day holiday feature, the $100,000 Morvich Stakes (gr. IIIT) Oct. 10.
Camp Victory has been second in four straight graded events, including the Triple Bend Handicap and the Pat O’Brien Stakes (both grade I) in his two most recent tries.
The Morvich, for 3-year-olds and up at about 6 ½ furlongs on the hillside turf course, attracted a field of eight. Camp Victory, the 6-5 morning line favorite, is to be ridden by Joe Talamo while carrying top weight of 123 pounds.
“He’s doing great,” said Mitchell. “He’s run well down the hill before and I’m hoping he gets a favorable trip and can use this as a prep for the Breeders’ Cup, but I haven’t made up my mind yet on that.”
Claimed for $40,000 last February, Virginia-bred Camp Victory ran second by a nose in the San Simeon Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the hillside three weeks later for his new ownership group. His last three starts have been on synthetic surfaces, but the 4-year-old gelded son of Forest Camp has four wins from nine career starts on grass.
$100,000 Morvich Stakes (gr. IIIT, Race 8 4:37 p.m.), 3 & Up, About 6 1/2 Furlongs (Turf)
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, Trainer.
1. Al Instante (CHI), H I Berrios, 118, R Cardenas, 12/1
2. Ain't No Other (CA), G K Gomez, 115, S Miyadi, 9/2
3. Excessive Passion (CA), J Rosario, 118, J Bonde, 8/1
4. El Gato Malo (KY), D R Flores, 118, C Dollase, 8/1
5. Leroy's Dynameaux (KY), R Bejarano, 118, M Glatt, 5/1
6. California Flag (CA), P A Valenzuela, 118, B J Koriner, 6/1
7. Camp Victory (VA), J Talamo, 123, M R Mitchell, 6/5
8 . Posse Power (KY), L Mawing, 118, F Lucarelli, 20/1