The Greenwood Cup, at 1 1/2 miles on dirt, is a Breeders’ Cup “Win and You’re In” event for the Breeders’ Cup Marathon (gr. II). Last year, Afleet Again was moved up to second after a disqualification in the Greenwood Cup, and later in the year won the Marathon at 1 3/4 miles.
The Greenwood Cup, the ninth race on the 10-race Saturday program, attracted a field of eight. Redeemed, trained by Rick Dutrow and to be ridden by Ramon Dominguez, drew the inside post at 122 pounds.
Redeemed, a 4-year-old Virginia-bred colt by Include , has won seven of 12 starts, with two seconds and two thirds. His only worse-than-third finish came this year in the 1 1/8-mile New Orleans Handicap (gr. II) in which Nate’s Mineshaft led from start to finish and none of his foes made up much ground.
In his last two starts, however, Redeemed has been a powerhouse with Dominguez aboard. On May 3 he romped by 9 3/4 lengths in the Milesius Stakes at 1 1/8 miles at Belmont Park, and on June 8 destroyed the field in the Brooklyn at Belmont in his first start at 1 1/2 miles.
Redeemed is versatile as well. As a 3-year-old he finished second to Caleb's Posse in the 6 1/2-furlong Amsterdam Handicap at Saratoga and defeated Alternation in the 1 1/8-mile Oklahoma Derby later in the year.
$200,000 Greenwood Cup Stakes (gr. III, Race 9, 3:50 p.m. EDT), 3 & Up, 1 1/2 Miles
PP., Horse, Jockey, Weight, Trainer
1. Redeemed (VA), R Dominguez, 122, R E Dutrow Jr.
2. Hello Lover (MD), A Suarez, 114, R E Reid Jr.
3. Birdrun (FL), (no rider named), 114, W I Mott
4. Eldaafer (KY), A S Arroyo, 114, D Alvarado
5. Not Abroad (MD), N J Petro, 122, M P Petro
6. Eversoul (KY), J C Caraballo, 114, M C Aro
7. Win Willy (KY), A Cintron, 122, M Robertson
8. Doublethestyle (FL), S Uske, 114, J J Tammaro III