While most of Shug McGaughey’s focus Nov. 3 will be on preparing Point of Entry for the $3 million Breeders’ Cup Turf (gr. IT) at Santa Anita Park, the Hall of Fame trainer also will be starting a talented turf runner at Aqueduct Racetrack in Boisterous .
Aqueduct opens its fall meet Nov. 2 and the first stakes of the meeting will be the Red Smith Handicap (gr. IIT) a day later, when Boisterous will try to close out 2012 the way he closed out 2011.
The 5-year-old Distorted Humor horse enters off an easy two-length win in the Knickerbocker Stakes (gr. IIIT) Oct. 13 on the Belmont Park turf. Last year Boisterous won the Knickerbocker before taking the Red Smith by two lengths.
Despite area storms, Aqueduct opened for simulcasting Nov. 1 and is expected to be able to run this weekend as scheduled.
$200,000 Red Smith Handicap (gr. IIT, Race 6, approximate post 3:02 p.m. EDT) Fillies & Mares 3 & Up, 1 3/8 Miles (Turf)
PP, Horse, Jockey, Weight, Trainer
1. Game Ball (KY), J. Espinoza, 114, N. Chatterpaul
2. Philly Ace (PA), C. Velasquez, 115, C. Clement
3. Bombaguia (KY), M. Luzzi, 115, J. Kimmel
4. Westside Corral (NY), R. Silvera, 113, J. Toscano Jr.
5. Boisterous (KY), E. Prado, 122, C. McGaughey
6. Lake Drop (KY), E. Castro, 115, H. Motion
7. (MTO) Isn’t He Perfect (KY), tba, 120, D. Shivmanga
8. (MTO) Pleasant Prince (FL), tba, 115, B. Brown