|Hansen, the champion two-year-old colt of 2011, has been purchased to stand at Ashford Stud near Versailles, Kentucky.
The son of Tapit was unbeaten as a two-year-old, winning a five-and-a-half furlong maiden by 12 1/4 lengths and the Kentucky Cup Juvenile by 13 1/4 lengths before defeating Grade 1-winning juveniles Union Rags, Creative Cause and Dullahan to win the Breeders' Cup Juvenile at Churchill Downs.
This season Hansen cruised to a three-length win in the Grade 3 Gotham and took the Grade 3 Iowa Derby by 10 lengths.
"Tapit has already proven himself a remarkable stallion in his relatively short career to date and we're delighted to have secured his best son Hansen who is a very good looking horse," Ashford Director of Sales Charlie O'Connor said.
"Together with Uncle Mo and Lookin at Lucky we now have the last three Eclipse Award-winning juveniles here at Ashford on a roster that also includes 2011 champion sires Giant's Causeway and Scat Daddy."
Named for breeder and co-owner Dr. Kendall Hansen, the gray colt was retired in September due to a tendon injury. Trained by Mike Maker, Hansen bankrolled $1,810,805 from a line of 9-5-2-0.
Most Popular Stories
- Kentucky Derby Winner Monarchos Dies
- Keen Ice Confirmed for Breeders' Cup Classic
- Arc Winner Found Could Run in BC Classic
- Roca Rojo Closes for Athenia Victory
- Seven-Time Group I Winner Buffering Retired
- Elektrum Surges at Wire to Win Dowager
- California Chrome Powerful Late in BC Drill
- WinStar Farm Sets 2017 Stud Fees
- Gainesway Colts Among Hips to Watch
- Curalina, Syndergaard Breeze at Belmont