The 1 1/16-mile Breeders' Cup Challenge "Win and You're In" event, moved from the fall schedule to Churchill's 12-day September meet and lengthened from a one-turn mile to send juveniles around two turns, is headed by 120-pound highweight Rise Up, Andrena and Paul Van Doren's solid 4 3/4-length winner of the Aug. 3 Mountaineer Juvenile at Mountaineer Casino, Racetrack & Resort going six furlongs for Tom Amoss.
The Rockport Harbor colt has Rosie Napravnik in the irons and will break from post 3; the Mountaineer Juvenile was his second win from three starts off a solid score on the Tapeta surface at Presque Isle Downs & Casino.
Another of interest is Ron Winchell's Tapiture , a son of Tapit who will be ridden by Ricardo Santana Jr. from the 4 hole for trainer Steve Asmussen. In his Aug. 17 debut at Saratoga Race Course, Tapiture pressed along second behind eventual Hopeful Stakes (gr. I) winner Strong Mandate , but could not pass that one and was beaten 4 1/2 lengths in the 6 1/2-furlong event. Ricardo Santana Jr. rides from post 4.
Trainer Kelly Breen sends a duo by Yes It's True to this spot for George and Lori Hall: Solemnly Swear broke his maiden by 8 1/2 at one mile at Monmouth Park Aug. 11, while Jimmy Connors was a 4 1/4-length winner of a July 27 5 1/2-furlong race also at Monmouth. Joe Bravo has the mount on Solemnly Swear from the 7 hole, while Jimmy Connors will be ridden by Elvis Trujillo from post 8.
Daniel Dougherty's highly regarded Ride On Curlin, a son of the two-time Horse of the Year trained by William Gowan, will be ridden by Hall of Famer Calvin Borel. The chestnut Curlin colt last time out broke his maiden by 7 3/4 wire-to-wire lengths at Ellis Park going 5 1/2 furlongs.
Completing the field are Donegal Racing's entry of Cleburne and Smart Cover, both trained by Dale Romans; Mckee Stables' Cee 'n O; Ten Grand Stable's Stonecrusher; Kevin Jacobsen's Laddie Boy; Calumet Farm's All Cash; and Cash is King's Honorable Judge, the 6 3/4-length winner of a one-mile maiden event Aug. 11 at Parx Racing.
$150,000 Iroquois Stakes (gr. III, Race 7, approximate post 9:05 p.m. EDT), 2YOs, 1 1/16 miles (Dirt)
PP, Horse, Jockey, Weight, Trainer
1. Laddie Boy (KY), J.L. Castanon, 118, C Peery
2. All Cash (KY), M. Mena, 118, D W Lukas
3. Rise Up (KY), R. Napravnik, 120, T M Amoss
4. Tapiture (KY), R. Santana, Jr., 118, S M Asmussen
5. Celburne (KY), C.J. Lanerie, 118, D L Romans
6. Honorable Judge (PA), J. Rocco, Jr., 118, R E Reid Jr.
7. Solemnly Swear (KY), J. Bravo, 118, K J Breen
8. Jimmy Connors (KY), E. Trujillo, 118, K J Breen
9. Ride On Curlin (KY), C. H. Borel, 118, W G Gowan
10. Smart Cover (KY), S. Bridgmohan, 118, D L Romans
11. Stonecrusher (KY), J.M. Johnson, 118, G G Hartlage
12. Cee 'n O (KY), A. Garcia, 118, D L Romans