After a pair of starts against males in graded stakes, Canadian classic winner Irish Mission is entered to face other top turf females in the $500,000 E.P. Taylor Stakes (Can-IT) Oct. 27 on the Woodbine turf.
Robert S. Evans' Irish Mission defeated males to win last year's Breeders' Stakes on the turf at Woodbine but the Giant's Causeway filly did not fare as well in her most recent efforts in open company on the Woodbine turf. She finished fifth in the Sky Classic Stakes (Can-IIT) Aug. 18 and fourth in the Northern Dancer Turf Stakes (Can-I) Sept. 15.
Irish Mission is also entered in the $1 million Pattison Canadian International (Can-IT) on the Sunday program at Woodbine.
Bred in Ontario by Sam-Son Farm, Irish Mission has earned $996,202 from 19 starts with a 4-4-1 record. She earned champion 3-year-old filly honors and champion grass mare honors in Canada last year.
Awaiting Irish Mission will be Northern Bloodstock's Minakshi, a 5-year-old French-bred daughter of Footstepsinthesand who posted a half-length victory in the Canadian Stakes (Can-II) against other fillies and mares Sept. 15 at Woodbine. Colonial Flag, secondin the Canadian, also will try the E.P. Taylor.
Shipping from the U.S. will be Richard Santulli's Tannery, last seen finishing a half-length behind Laughing in the Flower Bowl Invitational Stakes (gr. IT) Sept. 28 at Belmont Park. The 4-year-old Dylan Thomas filly earned a grade II win in this year's Sheepshead Bay Stakes at Belmont.
$500,000 E.P. Taylor Stakes (Can-I, race 8, approximate post time 4:38 p.m. EDT) F&M, 3yo&up, 1 1/4 miles, Turf
PP, Horse, Jockey, Weight, Trainer
1. No Explaining (IRE), M. Smith, 124, R. Attfield
2. Colonial Flag (KY), J. Leparoux, 124, M. Matz
3. Irish Mission (ON), G. Boulanger, 124, M. Frostad
4. Minakshi (FR), L. Contreras, 124, M. Matz
5. Moment In Time (IRE), R. Moore, 124, D. Simcock
6. Nancy O (IRE), D. Moran, 119, C. Costigan
7. Fitful Skies (IRE), F. Veron, 124, H. Pantall
8. Samba Brazil (Ger), A. Atzeni, 124, J. Hirschberger
9. Moment of Majesty (ON), J. Velazquez, 124, R. Attfield
10. Tannery (IRE), J. Rosario, 124, A. Goldberg