The award finalists, recognizing excellence in Thoroughbred racing, were announced by the National Thoroughbred Racing Association, Daily Racing Form, and the National Turf Writers And Broadcasters. Winners in 17 horse and human categories will be announced at the 43rd annual Eclipse Awards dinner and ceremony, presented by Daily Racing Form, Breeders' Cup, and The Stronach Group Jan. 18 at Gulfstream Park Racing and Casino in Hallandale Beach, Fla.
The 2013 Eclipse Awards finalists (in alphabetical order) are:
• Horse of the Year: Mucho Macho Man, Will Take Charge, Wise Dan
• Older Male: Game On Dude, Mucho Macho Man, Wise Dan
• Female Turf Horse: Dank, Laughing, Mizdirection
• Owner: Juddmonte Farms, Midwest Thoroughbreds, Kenneth and Sarah Ramsey
• Breeder: Adena Springs, Morton Fink, Kenneth and Sarah Ramsey
• Trainer: Bob Baffert, Bill Mott, Todd Pletcher
• Jockey: Javier Castellano, Joel Rosario, Gary Stevens
• Apprentice Jockey: Victor Carrasco, Manuel Franco, Edgard Zayas
In addition to honoring the winners, Hall of Fame trainer D. Wayne Lukas will receive the Eclipse Award of Merit and the Thoroughbred Aftercare Alliance will be recognized with an Eclipse Special Award. Jim Benes will receive an Eclipse Award as the Handicapper of the Year. Members of the media will be honored for outstanding coverage in six categories.
Of the 272 eligible voters representing the NTRA, the NTWAB and Daily Racing Form, 249 (91.5%) took part in this year's voting. Finalists were determined in each category by voters' top three selections, using a 10-5-1 point basis. Eclipse Award winners are determined solely by first place votes.
The Eclipse Awards, which will be televised live on HRTV, are named after the great 18th-century racehorse and foundation sire Eclipse, who began racing at age 5 and was undefeated in 18 starts, including eight walkovers.