Waterford Stable's Summer Front will try to win the Miami Mile Handicap (gr. IIIT) for a second straight year when the 5-year-old son of War Front faces an expected 11 rivals in the turf race for 3-year-olds and older Saturday, April 19 at Calder Casino & Race Course.
Summer Front enters Saturday's race after an off-the-board finish as the 2-1 favorite in the Gulfstream Park Turf Handicap (gr. IT) Feb. 9 at Gulfstream Park. While a grade I victory has eluded Summer Front, he has registered seven career stakes wins at six different tracks, including four graded events.
Trained by Christophe Clement, Summer Front won last year's Miami Mile by 1 1/2 lengths after he rallied from seventh early as the 9-10 favorite.
Among Summer Front's top rivals in this year's race, which saw entry of 15 horses (one as an also-eligible and two as main-track-only starters) will be Hey Leroy who scored a neck victory over Mr. Online in the Appleton Stakes (gr. IIIT) in his previous start. Rontos Racing Stable's Hey Leroy earned the first stakes win of his career in the Appleton on March 29 at Gulfstream Park.
$100,000 Miami Mile Handicap (gr. IIIT, race 7, approximate post time 4 p.m. EDT) 3YO&Up, One Mile, Turf
PP, Horse, Jockey, Weight, Trainer
1. Dad'z Laugh (FL), J. Delgado, 114, D. Chaparro
2. Hey Leroy (KY), P. Lopez, 118, M. Azpurua
3. Travelin Man (KY), E. Zayas, 114, T. Pletcher
4. Buffalo (BRZ), J. Chamafi, 115, M. Wolfson
5. Padilla (FL), G. Saez, 114, D. Fawkes
6. DAngerous Lad (KY), M. Cruz, 113, K. O'Connell
7. Alley Oop Oop (FL), J. Rios, 116, S. Gold
8. Decisive Moment (FL), A. Jaen, 114, J. Arias
9. Monument Hill (MD), J. Leyva, 117, G. Weaver
10. Midnight Cello (KY), O. Bocachica, 115, M. Vitali\
11. Summer Front (KY), J. Bravo, 121, C. Clement
12. Grand Tito (KY), S. Gonzalez, 115, A. Sano
(MTO) 13. Csaba (KY), M. Cruz, 116, P. Gleaves
(MTO) 14. Flatter This (KY), E. Nunez, 114, K. O'Connell
(AE) 15. Tale of the Heart (KY), E. Nunez, 113, A. Medina