Sarava Injured; Expected to Miss Rest of 2002 Season
by Tom LaMarra
Date Posted: 7/16/2002 1:25:30 PM
Last Updated: 7/19/2002 11:12:48 AM

Belmont Stakes winner Sarava will likely miss the rest of the year.
Photo: Barbara Livingston
New Phoenix Stable and Susan Roy's Sarava, who won this year's Belmont Stakes at 70-1 and was expected to compete this summer at Saratoga, has fractured a cannon bone and will be on the sidelines until probably next year.

Trainer Ken McPeek said Sarava, in training at Churchill Downs, worked well the morning of July 16 but cooled out uncomfortably. X-rays revealed the problem, he said.

"He's got some issues with a back cannon bone," McPeek said. "It's actually quite minor, but we have to give him some time. It's really disappointing. He was doing very well. We plan to have him come back as an older horse."

Sarava, who was being pointed to either the Jim Dandy or Travers Stakes for 3-year-olds at Saratoga, won the Sir Barton Stakes at Pimlico Race Course May 18, the same day War Emblem won the Preakness Stakes for his second win in a Triple Crown race. But on June 8 at Belmont, it was longshot Sarava who took top honors when favored War Emblem checked in eighth after a troubled trip.

McPeek also trains two other top 3-year-olds, the colt Repent and the filly Take Charge Lady, and they, too, are on the sidelines. Earlier this year, he trained 3-year-old Harlan's Holiday to victories in the Florida Derby and Blue Grass Stakes before the colt was transferred to another barn.

Copyright © 2014 The Blood-Horse, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

SUBSCRIBE to The Blood-Horse magazine TODAY!