Sam Elliott, most recently vice president of racing at Suffolk Downs in Massachusetts, is the new director of racing at Parx Racing in Pennsylvania.
- Stakes Calendar
The Massachusetts House of Representatives Dec. 31 passed an amended bill that extended the simulcast rights of Suffolk Downs for 90 days to give track ownership and horsemen time to work on a plan to restore live racing.
Suffolk Downs, slated for closure Dec. 31, will be allowed to remain open for simulcasting only under the terms of a bill that cleared the Massachusetts Senate on Dec. 29.
Former jockey Andrea Terrill is suing Suffolk Downs near Boston, Mass., for injuries she sustained in a 2013 race.
Negotiations on a lease agreement between the management of Suffolk Downs and officials of the New England Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association remain on track, contrary to a published report.
The New England affiliate of the Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association took one more important step toward the restoration of live racing at Suffolk Downs in 2015 by filing a supplemental application Nov. 24.
Suffolk Downs, which ended live racing for good earlier in the fall and laid off the majority of the track's remaining employees on Nov. 20 is now investigating ways to remain open as a simulcast-only facility in 2015.
While maintaining it is doing whatever is necessary to keep the door open for the return of Thoroughbred racing, the Massachusetts Gaming Commission voted unanimously to approve three "placeholder" 2015 dates applications.
The Massachusetts horsemen and breeders now live to fight another day after the referendum to repeal the bill authorizing three resort casinos and one slots parlor in the state was resoundingly rejected at the polls.
Unionized employees of Suffolk Downs have sued the Massachusetts Gaming Commission contending it violated the law when it selected Wynn Resorts for a casino license instead of the track's gaming partner, Mohegan Sun.
A request by Suffolk Downs that the Massachusetts Gaming Commission reconsider its decision to award its Boston area casino license to Wynn Resorts didn't get out of the starting gate at a public hearing Oct. 9.
The New England horsemen who are attempting to lease the recently closed Suffolk Downs and bring back live racing next year will be represented by a new board of directors of their chapter of the HBPA.
Carl Gambardella, the all-time leading rider in New England, hadn't been back to Suffolk Downs in four years but wanted to be on hand for the last day of the meet, as it is slated to be the 79-year-old track's last.
The New England Horseman's Benevolent and Protective Association submitted an application Oct. 1 to the Massachusetts Gaming Commission to conduct a live meet at Suffolk Downs next year.
There may be a reprieve for live racing at Suffolk Downs even though the track's ownership group announced that they would not apply for dates in 2015.
As live racing at Suffolk Downs winds down for the season, and likely forever, the Massachusetts Gaming Commission is seeking options for the continuation of Thoroughbred racing in the state.
As live racing draws to a close at Suffolk Downs, track officials are extending the meet by one day so that the 79-year-old track where Hall of Famers Seabiscuit, Whirlaway, John Henry, Skip Away and Cigar once raced.
A Suffolk Downs executive told horsemen Sept. 20 the track would listen to any viable plans formulated by the New England Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association to continue racing.
The owners of the Brockton Fairgrounds have stepped up to offer the Thoroughbred horsemen of Massachusetts a home after Suffolk Downs came up short in its casino quest and will soon be closed.
The Massachusetts Gaming Commission said Sept. 18 it will offer help for soon to be unemployed Suffolk Downs workers and racing industry stakeholders, but the words rang hollow for the track's chief operating officer.