War Horse Place stallion Kitalpha, a full brother to Kingmambo, has died of cancer, farm owner Gerry Aschinger announced in Lexington Sept. 21.
Kitalpha, a full brother to prominent stallion Kingmambo, sired his first winner from his initial North American crop when his 2-year-old son Keg won at six furlongs at Prairie Meadows.
South African golf legend Gary Player, fresh off Sunday's final round play of the U.S. Senior Open at the Inverness Club in Toledo, Ohio, stopped at Churchill Downs on Monday to visit another of his country's notable exports: Ipi Tombe, winner of Saturday's Locust Grove Handicap (gr. III) in her U.S. racing debut.
At a time when the mare Ipi Tombe becomes the first Zimbabwe-bred imported to North America, the horses remaining in her native land face injury and slaughter due to a government land grab.
Most Popular Stories
- Gulfstream Race is 'No Contest' After Spill
- After the Wire: Rebel Stakes
- Stormy Lucy Ends Graded Drought in Santa Ana
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- KY-Bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident