Michael Matz sent out Chelokee to win the inaugural Barbaro Stakes, a Pimlico race named after the deceased winner of the 2006 Kentucky Derby and Roy and Gretchen Jackson, the owners of Barbaro, made the winner's circle presentation to Matz.
Michael Matz, who trained last year's Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) winner Barbaro, will send out Centennial Farms' Chelokee against six rivals in the inaugural running of the Barbaro Stakes for 3-year-olds on the Preakness Stakes (gr. I) undercard.
Circle Z Stables' Xchanger opened up by eight lengths and cruised to victory in the $100,000 Federico Tesio Stakes for 3-year-olds, while odds-on favorite Etude had nothing to offer when asked and finished off the board.
Fitzhugh LLC's Etude, winner of the Private Terms at Laurel Park last month, looms as the one to beat in Saturday's $125,000 Federico Tesio for 3-year-olds at Pimlico Race Course.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Logs Work for 'Challenge'
- Arrogate-'Chrome' Match Race in Pegasus?
- Departing Retired to Claiborne Farm
- Blue Grass, Wood Memorial Downgraded
- Sandford, Owner of Take Charge Indy, Dies
- Cathryn Sophia to Pioneerof the Nile in 2017
- Arrogate Returns to Work Tab
- Gulfstream Set for Historic Championship Meet
- Jose Ortiz Rides Five Winners at Aqueduct
- Doctor J Dub Breakthrough Horse for Antonucci