Michael Matz sent out Chelokee to win the inaugural Barbaro Stakes, a Pimlico race named after the deceased winner of the 2006 Kentucky Derby and Roy and Gretchen Jackson, the owners of Barbaro, made the winner's circle presentation to Matz.
Michael Matz, who trained last year's Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) winner Barbaro, will send out Centennial Farms' Chelokee against six rivals in the inaugural running of the Barbaro Stakes for 3-year-olds on the Preakness Stakes (gr. I) undercard.
Circle Z Stables' Xchanger opened up by eight lengths and cruised to victory in the $100,000 Federico Tesio Stakes for 3-year-olds, while odds-on favorite Etude had nothing to offer when asked and finished off the board.
Fitzhugh LLC's Etude, winner of the Private Terms at Laurel Park last month, looms as the one to beat in Saturday's $125,000 Federico Tesio for 3-year-olds at Pimlico Race Course.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Eased as Moreno Wins CT Classic
- Cozmic One Approaches Long-Awaited Debut
- One Lucky Dane Off Derby Trail After Workout
- Cozmic One Lacks Late Kick in Debut
- Whiskey Ticket Wins IL Derby Like a Pro
- Queen of The Sand Rebounds in Santa Barbara
- Hootenanny Successful in Season Debut
- Bodhisattva Gets Classic Credential in Tesio
- Dortmund Records Bullet Work at Santa Anita
- No Medication for Mubtaahij in Kentucky Derby