The brilliant sprinter Lady Tak, with a confident John Velazquez in the saddle, disposed of pacesetter Molto Vita coming off the turn and cruised to a two-length victory as the heavy favorite in the $150,000 Gallant Bloom Handicap (gr. II) for fillies and mares.
The versatile California-bred mare Bear Fan, a winner of three consecutive stakes victories, tops a field of nine fillies and mares entered for the $150,000 Vagrancy Handicap (gr. II) at 6 1/2 furlongs on the Belmont Stakes undercard Saturday.
The $100,000 Doubledogdare Stakes isn't a graded event, but a number of its entrants have earned that status, giving the race a strong dose of class. Of the 11 entrants, three of them are grade II winners, and five others have won added-money races.
Joseph V. Shields Jr.'s hard-hitting House Party rallied in the stretch to defeat Mooji Moo by a neck in the $100,000 Hurricane Bertie Handicap at Gulfstream Park Sunday.
House Party figures to be a slight favorite in Sunday's $100,000 Hurricane Bertie Handicap at Gulfstream Park, but most eyes will be on D'Wildcat Speed, making her U.S. debut after winning 14 in a row in Puerto Rico.
Randaroo, leading from the outset, held off the late charge of Shine Again to win the $150,000 First Flight Handicap (gr. II) on Breeders' Cup Saturday at Belmont Park.
Trainer Todd Pletcher broke Frank "Pancho" Martin's 21-year-old Belmont Park spring-summer meeting record for victories when he saddled Zawzooth for a win in Wednesday's $65,000 My Juliet.
Most Popular Stories
- Pensioned Top Maryland Sire Not For Love Dies
- Stay Thirsty's First Winner Comes in England
- Ride On Curlin to Florida's Pleasant Acres
- Santa Anita Pick 6 Pays Over $1.47 Million
- Second Saratoga Group Sounds Off on NYRA Plan
- Swipe at Belmont Preparing for His Return
- Purses Enhanced for 2016 Ellis Park Meet
- Stahlbaum Wins Avelino Gomez Award
- Suddenbreakingnews Now 'Official Ridgling'
- Creator Works, Set for Trip to New York