Goldikova looks to become the fourth horse to repeat in the Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT).
The Breeders' Cup World Championships success last year of five European-trained horses at Santa Anita Park really made everybody sit up and take notice. There were a record 31 European-trained raiders in 2008 and the number is set to be matched or even surpassed this year.
Rip Van Winkle held off a stubborn Zacinto in the final furlong to claim his second group I victory of the season, taking the Queen Elizabeth II Stakes (Eng-I) by a determined 1 1/4-lengths at Ascot Sept. 26.
Juddmonte Farms, who already has Breeders' Cup victories with Banks Hill (2001) and Intercontinental (2005), could have a strong presence in this year's World Championships with several horses, including Midday, who is targeting the $2 million Emirates Airline Filly & Mare Turf (gr. IT) Nov. 6 at Santa Anita.
Midday emerged from the fog and gloom to capture her first group I victory, drawing off to a commanding 2 1/4-length win in the Blue Square Nassau Stakes (Eng-I) at Goodwood Aug. 1.
Most Popular Stories
- Undefeated Dortmund Wasn't Always So Popular
- Golden Gate Winter/Spring Meet Starts Dec. 26
- Lukas Pointing 'Brandi' to Kentucky Oaks
- Millionaire Kiri's Clown Euthanized at Age 25
- Baffert Quartet Faces Shared Belief in Malibu
- Intriguing Maidens in MD Juvenile Futurity
- Secret Circle Aims for Season-Ending Win
- Baltas, Pedroza Square Off at Los Alamitos
- Happy Holidays From Blood-Horse Publications
- Ohio-Bred Fund to Top $5 Million in 2015