Goldikova looks to become the fourth horse to repeat in the Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT).
The Breeders' Cup World Championships success last year of five European-trained horses at Santa Anita Park really made everybody sit up and take notice. There were a record 31 European-trained raiders in 2008 and the number is set to be matched or even surpassed this year.
Rip Van Winkle held off a stubborn Zacinto in the final furlong to claim his second group I victory of the season, taking the Queen Elizabeth II Stakes (Eng-I) by a determined 1 1/4-lengths at Ascot Sept. 26.
Juddmonte Farms, who already has Breeders' Cup victories with Banks Hill (2001) and Intercontinental (2005), could have a strong presence in this year's World Championships with several horses, including Midday, who is targeting the $2 million Emirates Airline Filly & Mare Turf (gr. IT) Nov. 6 at Santa Anita.
Midday emerged from the fog and gloom to capture her first group I victory, drawing off to a commanding 2 1/4-length win in the Blue Square Nassau Stakes (Eng-I) at Goodwood Aug. 1.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Wraps up Serious Derby Preparations
- Mohaymen Sitting on Go for Kentucky Derby
- Busy Work Tab at Churchill for Derby Horses
- Olorda Front-Running Winner of Bewitch
- Lady Shipman Returns to U.S. In License Fee
- Outwork, Destin Turn in Final Derby Breezes
- First Winner for Empire Way
- Le Havre colt a Guineas sale pinhook coup
- Maiden Trojan Nation Seeks Derby Upset
- Former Trainer Luby Dies at 71