The name doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, but if he wins the $1 million Louisiana Derby (gr. II) on April 1 at Fair Grounds, Triple Crown fans better get used to saying Mark Valeski.
As of March 21, a total of nine probables are expected for the $1 million Louisiana Derby (gr. II) at Fair Grounds on April 1.
El Padrino, the highly-touted 3-year-old from the barn of Todd Pletcher, proved he was worthy of the hype Feb. 25 at Fair Grounds when he outdueled Mark Valeski by a nose to win the $300,000 Risen Star (gr. II).
Steve Asmussen has a trio of intriguing Derby prospects read blog
El Padrino, who showed himself to be a Triple Crown contender with a sharp allowance win at Gulfstream Park Jan. 29, heads a field of 11 entered for the $300,000 Risen Star Stakes (gr. II) at Fair Grounds Feb. 25.
Brereton Jones' homebred Mr. Bowling delivered a game effort in his 3-year-old debut, turning back Z Dager and Shared Property in an exciting finish to win the $175,000 Lecomte Stakes (gr. III) Jan. 21 at Fair Grounds.
The $175,000 Lecomte Stakes (gr. III), Fair Grounds' first graded 3-year-old race leading up to the Louisiana Derby (gr. II), drew a field of 13, a handful of them thought to be early Triple Crown prospects.
Most Popular Stories
- Longform: Long Live the Queen
- Weanling Daughter of Champion Zenyatta Dies
- For Joe Rocco Jr., It's All About the Horse
- Sire Tapit Closing in on Record Season
- Aktabantay Knocked Out of BC Juvenile Turf
- Asmussen Aims to Make Untapable Feel at Home
- Santa Anita Confident in New Dirt Surface
- TimeformUS Breeders' Cup Preview: Distaff
- Top Decile Under Radar for Juvenile Fillies
- Northern Cal Trainers On Cup's Center Stage