The Fasig-Tipton Midlantic December mixed sale opened Sunday in Maryland with a gross that exceeded last year's first session total, but the average and median prices both suffered setbacks.
After early scratches 116 were entered Thursday for the 10 races on Maryland's Million Day at Old Hilltop.
James B. Taefel's Lakenheath outdueled favored With Ability down the stretch of the 1 1/8-mile Arlington Matron Handicap (gr. III) to prevail by a head bob on a muddy track Monday.
Jay Em Ess Stables' Miss Pickums and Edward P. Evans' With Ability will share starting highweight of 116 pounds Monday when a field of six distaffers heads postward in the 67th running of the $150,000 Arlington Matron (gr. III), the Labor Day feature at Arlington Park.
Eugene Ford's Your Out, second by a neck to multiple graded stakes winner Summer Colony in the Delaware Handicap (gr. III) on July 21, is being shipped from those Mid-Atlantic environs to contest the $150,000 Arlington Matron (gr. III) on Labor Day.
Edward P. Evans' Summer Colony stages a strong rally late to win the rich Delaware Handicap.
Elizabeth Walsh's Gigi's Magic, making her first start of the year, took the opening advantage and never looked back recording an upset win in the $60,000 Jameela Stakes for Maryland-bred fillies on Pimlico's opening day card.
Gin Talking, who won three consecutive stakes at Laurel last year, was named 2000 Horse of the Year and champion 3-year-old filly by the Maryland Horse Breeders Association.
The Maryland Horse Breeders Association named Gin Talking the 2000 Maryland-bred Horse of the Year and champion 3-year-old filly. The daughter of Allen's Prospect finished the season with three consecutive stakes victories, including her second triumph in a Maryland Million event at Laurel.
Most Popular Stories
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Classic Empire Out of Fountain of Youth
- Epicharis Earns Japan's Kentucky Derby Bid
- Zakaroff 48-1 Stunner in El Camino Real Derby
- Mo Town Set for 3-Year-Old Debut in Risen Star
- Gold Dream Punches Ticket to BC Classic
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack
- Cuddle Alert Gives Sire Bedford Falls First Stakes Win
- Royal Delta Half Brother Scores on Gulfstream Turf
- Terra Promessa Goes Gate to Wire in Bayakoa