Third choice Makahiki bested a strong field of 3-year-olds in the Tokyo Yushun (Jpn-I, Japanese Derby) to claim his first top-level win by a nose May 29 at Tokyo Racecourse.
Clarity Sky ran down previously unbeaten Kentucky-bred filly Albiano late and won the NHK Mile (Jpn-I) for 3-year-olds May 10 at Tokyo.
Verxina led gate to wire as she struck for a repeat win in the Victoria Mile (Jpn-I) May 18 at Tokyo Racecourse.
Four times second at the group I level in 2012, Verxina finally broke through in the Victoria Mile (Jpn-I) May 12 at Tokyo Racecourse when holding off the strong late charge of Whale Capture to prevail by a nose.
Holding the rare distinction as runner-up in all three jewels of Japan's Triple Crown for fillies, Verxina will try for a break through in the Queen Elizabeth II Commemorative Cup (Jpn-I) Nov. 11 at Kyoto.
Unrivaled took command of the $2.3 million Satsuki Sho (Japanese Two Thousand Guineas) at the top of the stretch and held off a late charge from Triumph March to win by 1 1/2 lengths before 71,201 at Nakayama Racecourse April 19.
Admire Jupiter, one of four horses entered by owner Riichi Kondo, held off defending champion Meisho Samson by a head to win the US$2.4 million Tenno Sho (Spring) before 81,760 at Kyoto Racecourse May 4.
Most Popular Stories
- Grade 1 Winner, Sire Devil His Due Dies at 28
- Desormeaux Switches Agents to Arroyo
- Cloud Computing Leaves Pimlico, Others Thinking Belmont
- Cloud Computing Wears Down Classic Empire in Preakness
- Into Mischief Filly Tops Early at Midlantic Sale
- Hips to Watch: Day 2 Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale
- Speedy Smart Strike Filly Brings $525,000
- Trainer Richie Scherer Dies at Age 53
- Smart Strike Filly Leads the Way at Midlantic Sale
- Jimmy Creed Filly Pride of Endswell's Consignment