Shadwell Stud's former Central Kentucky sire Muhtafal, a half brother to 1987 Canadian Horse of the Year and prominent sire Afleet, died recently at Spring Valley Stud in South Africa. He was 23.
A full field of ten has been assembled for the third running of the $100,000 Michael Schaefer Mile Saturday at Hoosier Park.
Trainer Donald Winfree bypassed a shot at the Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) with 4-year-old Tenpins, opting instead for the $156,122 Fayette Stakes (gr. III) at Keeneland. While the $4-million question remains unanswered, Tenpins did earn owner-breeder Joseph Vitello $99,789 for his 1 3/4-length triumph over a pesky X Country in the 1 1/8-mile Saturday feature at the Lexington oval.
Keeneland's closing-day feature, the $150,000-added Fayette Stakes (gr. III), brings out a tight-knit field of five, ready to run 1 1/8 mile on the main track.
Michael Tabor's Buckle Down Ben, prepping for the Belmont Stakes (gr. I), earned a neck-length victory over X Country in a one-mile allowance race Sunday at Churchill Downs. Under jockey Pat Day, the 3-year-old son of Devil His Due completed the distance in 1:34.84 on a fast track. The win marked Day's 7,999th career victory.
Most Popular Stories
- Pensioned Top Maryland Sire Not For Love Dies
- Stay Thirsty's First Winner Comes in England
- Ride On Curlin to Florida's Pleasant Acres
- Second Saratoga Group Sounds Off on NYRA Plan
- Santa Anita Pick 6 Pays Over $1.47 Million
- Swipe at Belmont Preparing for His Return
- Purses Enhanced for 2016 Ellis Park Meet
- Stahlbaum Wins Avelino Gomez Award
- Illuminant Upsets Wekeela in Gamely Stakes
- Creator Works, Set for Trip to New York