Five Star Day led from the start and pulled away in the stretch to win the $269,750 Phoenix Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. III) by four lengths Saturday at Keeneland. Under Garrett Gomez, Five Star Day completed the six furlongs in a sizzling 1:07.90 on a fast track.
Trippi, returning from a nine-length rout over fellow sophomores in the Riva Ridge (gr. II) on the Belmont Stakes card, set all the fractions on the way to a 4 1/2 length win against older horses in the $150,000 Tom Fool Handicap (gr. II) Sunday at Belmont Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Accelerate Springs Stunning Upset as Arrogate Falters
- Lady Eli Runs 'One of Her Greatest Races to Date'
- Firenze Fire Upsets Sanford Stakes
- Twisted Tom Muscles His Way to New York Derby Score
- Always Dreaming, Cloud Computing, Tapwrit Work at Spa
- Hunt Overcomes Trouble to Win Eddie Read
- As Arrogate's Stature Builds, So Do Expectations
- Maryland Horse of the Year Ben's Cat Dies
- Dream It Is The Real Deal in Schuylerville
- Kettle Corn Gets First Winner at Belterra Park