Five Star Day led from the start and pulled away in the stretch to win the $269,750 Phoenix Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. III) by four lengths Saturday at Keeneland. Under Garrett Gomez, Five Star Day completed the six furlongs in a sizzling 1:07.90 on a fast track.
Trippi, returning from a nine-length rout over fellow sophomores in the Riva Ridge (gr. II) on the Belmont Stakes card, set all the fractions on the way to a 4 1/2 length win against older horses in the $150,000 Tom Fool Handicap (gr. II) Sunday at Belmont Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Hence Springs Upset in Sunland Derby
- Dortmund Back to Dirt in Next Start
- Girvin Heads Louisiana Derby Field
- Undefeated Ghalia Takes Sunland Park Oaks
- Fast and Accurate Scores Spiral Upset
- Fear the Cowboy Takes Skip Away in Late Drive
- Thunder Snow Gets Up in UAE Derby
- Mind Your Biscuits Rises to Occasion in Golden Shaheen
- Farrell Poised for Next Test in Fair Grounds Oaks