Five Star Day led from the start and pulled away in the stretch to win the $269,750 Phoenix Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. III) by four lengths Saturday at Keeneland. Under Garrett Gomez, Five Star Day completed the six furlongs in a sizzling 1:07.90 on a fast track.
Trippi, returning from a nine-length rout over fellow sophomores in the Riva Ridge (gr. II) on the Belmont Stakes card, set all the fractions on the way to a 4 1/2 length win against older horses in the $150,000 Tom Fool Handicap (gr. II) Sunday at Belmont Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Firing Line to Crestwood
- Juveniles Showcased at Gulfstream Saturday
- Arrogate Works Toward Seasonal Bow
- NY Again Considers Continuing Ed for Trainers
- Dutchess Views Lowers Fee for Big Brown
- Pure Sensation Questionable for HK Sprint
- BC Juvenile Winner Texas Red Retired
- New York Calls Off Belmont Development
- Able Friend Out to Regain Hong Kong Glory
- American Gal, Union Strike Meet in Starlet