Five Star Day led from the start and pulled away in the stretch to win the $269,750 Phoenix Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. III) by four lengths Saturday at Keeneland. Under Garrett Gomez, Five Star Day completed the six furlongs in a sizzling 1:07.90 on a fast track.
Trippi, returning from a nine-length rout over fellow sophomores in the Riva Ridge (gr. II) on the Belmont Stakes card, set all the fractions on the way to a 4 1/2 length win against older horses in the $150,000 Tom Fool Handicap (gr. II) Sunday at Belmont Park.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah Takes Haskell With Ease
- Records Fall on Haskell Day at Monmouth Park
- Rachel's Valentina Sparkles in Debut
- 'Maria' Upstages Champ Untapable in Shuvee
- Gimme Da Lute Dominates Real Good Deal
- American Pharoah Takes the Haskell
- Sharp American Pharoah Ready for Return
- Texas Red, Frosted Likely to Meet in Travers
- Tillson Joins Spendthrift Farm Team
- Palace Malice Earns Bullet in Saratoga Breeze