Five Star Day led from the start and pulled away in the stretch to win the $269,750 Phoenix Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. III) by four lengths Saturday at Keeneland. Under Garrett Gomez, Five Star Day completed the six furlongs in a sizzling 1:07.90 on a fast track.
Trippi, returning from a nine-length rout over fellow sophomores in the Riva Ridge (gr. II) on the Belmont Stakes card, set all the fractions on the way to a 4 1/2 length win against older horses in the $150,000 Tom Fool Handicap (gr. II) Sunday at Belmont Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Relief Comes to Abandoned Horses in Kentucky
- Red Rifle Aims to Repeat in Dominion Day
- Legends: Charlie Whittingham, the Bald Eagle
- TAA Ready to Assist With Abandoned Horses
- White-Headed Foal Named Southern Phantom
- Morris to Ride Mongolian Saturday in July Cup
- Regulators Consider Out-of-Competition Rule
- MJC Reports Increased Average Daily Handle
- Kentucky Neglect Case Under Investigation
- Zenyatta Bottle to Benefit Old Friends