EDITOR'S NOTE: The following column written by Steve Haskin appeared on Bloodhorse.com on Sept. 15, 2001, in conjunction with the cancellation of New York Racing Association racing, including several grade I stakes, in deference to the horrific events of Sept. 11.
Greenwood Racing will make donations totaling $100,000 to charities involved in disaster relief efforts in the City of New York resulting from the attack on the World Trade Center Towers on September 11, 2001.
The shutdown of New York airports will keep Beautiful Pleasure and Hero's Tribute out of important graded stakes races at Belmont Park on Saturday.
Breeders' Cup officials have only just begun thinking about how the World Trade Center disaster could affect the World Thoroughbred Championships at Belmont Park on October 27.
Most Popular Stories
- Champion Hidden Lake Dies at 23
- Jockey Gallardo to Try Southern California
- California Chrome Draws Rail in Awesome Again
- Borell Enters Alford Plea on Cruelty Charges
- Santa Anita Installs Barn Surveillance System
- Stopchargingmaria in F-T November Sale
- Outwork, Speightster Retire to WinStar
- Two Unbeaten Favorites in Florida Sire Series
- Impressive Maiden Winners Try Pilgrim Stakes
- A Time When Greatness Bloomed