Federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials are declining to confirm or deny whether 16 men arrested in Saratoga Springs, N.Y. earlier this week on immigration violations had employment connections to the city's Thoroughbred racetrack.
The Department of Labor has filed a lawsuit against Steve Asmussen contending the Eclipse Award-winning trainer has failed to pay proper overtime and has not kept proper employment records.
- By Claire Novak
Workers come out after the break, when the track is freshly harrowed and smooth as soft brown sugar. Most are ridden by jockeys dressed in trendy casual-wear, shiny helmets, spiffy vests. They stride onto the surface, jog up the wrong way, turn, gallop into it, get set down, and - boom - kick into high gear.
Most Popular Stories
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup
- Casse Duo Set for Queen's Plate Run
- Neolithic Back Galloping After Respiratory Illness
- The Stronach Group Considers New England Venture
- Kentucky Derby Starters Reunite in Ohio Derby
- Disco Rico and His Record-Setting Son Disco Partner
- Untrapped Aims for First Stakes win in Ohio Derby
- Litfin at Large: Class Horses Figure in Ohio Derby
- Kitasan Black Faces 10 in Takarazuka Kinen