Less than 12 hours after saddling Tonalist to an upset victory in the Belmont Stakes (gr. I), trainer Christophe Clement was in his usual spot on the apron at the New York track at 5:30 a.m. June 8, overseeing workouts.
Robert Evan's Tonalist rallied late to edge Commissioner to win the June 7 Belmont Stakes (gr. I). California Chrome, bidding for the Triple Crown, finished in a dead-heat with Wicked Strong for fourth behind Medal Count.
His development slowed by a lung infection, Tonalist showed he can be a major contender in the Belmont Stakes (gr. I) next month when he crushed the $200,000 Peter Pan Stakes (gr. II) May 10 on a sloppy track at Belmont Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Top Stallion Street Cry Dead at Age 16
- Fair Grounds to Withhold Millions from Purses
- HRRN Programming on New SiriusXM Channels
- Lenny's Place - Episode 1
- Is PA Derby Best Spot for 'Chrome'?
- California Chrome Draws Rail in PA Derby
- No Dice for Massachusetts Racing, Breeding
- Keeneland September Sale Sees More Gains
- California Chrome Arrives at Parx Racing
- What's Going On Here: Solid at the Core