A yearling colt by City Zip was purchased by Robert Hess Jr. for $50,000 to top the Aug. 16 Northern California yearling and horses of racing age sale.
Sue Greene continues her life with horses on Woodbridge Farm Download Now
Pensioned broodmare Wheatly Way, dam of grade I winner Bevo, died Oct. 17 at Joclyn Helmbrecht's Echo Lane in Ocala, Fla.
The average price at the 2012 Northern California Yearling Sale jumped by 50% over last year during the ninth annual event Aug. 14 at Pleasanton's Alameda County Fairgrounds.
A full sister to the stakes-winning sale graduate Sherman Bartlebort was the $40,000 topper at the 2011 Northern California yearling and horses of racing age sale in Pleasanton Aug. 16.
Woodbridge Farm's Moonlight Sonata posted the biggest upset in the history of the Arlington-Washington Lassie (gr. III) for 2-year-old fillies when the daughter of Carson City rallied wide in the stretch to earn a 1 3/4-length victory at odds of more than 60-1.
Most Popular Stories
- BC Juvenile Winner Texas Red Retired
- Trainer Brown Gearing Up for Gulfstream
- Ferndale Racetrack OK After Earthquake
- Three Rules Being Considered for Swale Stakes
- A Look Back at A.P. Indy's Hollywood Futurity
- Holy Bull Stakes Goal for Gunnevera
- Promising Mastery Heads Los Al Futurity Field
- Woodbine Reports Increased Handle
- Jockeys' Guild Set for Annual Assembly
- Top Global Runners Vie in Hong Kong Races