Pensioned broodmare Wheatly Way, dam of grade I winner Bevo, died Oct. 17 at Joclyn Helmbrecht's Echo Lane in Ocala, Fla.
The average price at the 2012 Northern California Yearling Sale jumped by 50% over last year during the ninth annual event Aug. 14 at Pleasanton's Alameda County Fairgrounds.
A full sister to the stakes-winning sale graduate Sherman Bartlebort was the $40,000 topper at the 2011 Northern California yearling and horses of racing age sale in Pleasanton Aug. 16.
Woodbridge Farm's Moonlight Sonata posted the biggest upset in the history of the Arlington-Washington Lassie (gr. III) for 2-year-old fillies when the daughter of Carson City rallied wide in the stretch to earn a 1 3/4-length victory at odds of more than 60-1.
Most Popular Stories
- Baffert Quartet Faces Shared Belief in Malibu
- Champion High Chaparral Euthanized at 15
- Gulfstream Builds Stalls for Displaced Horses
- Dortmund Wins Dramatic Los Alamitos Futurity
- Awesome Baby Heads Speedy Field in La Brea
- Los Alamitos Concludes Successful Winter Meet
- Clement Trio Looms Large in La Prevoyante
- Strong Field Set for Mathis Brothers Mile
- Divine Oath, North Slope Meet in McKnight
- Speechify Goes for Grade in Mr. Prospector