The Jockey Club of Canada's Graded Stakes Committee held its annual review of the graded and listed stakes in Canada and while the number of graded stakes in Canada remains unchanged at 43 there is one notable downgrade.
Inglorious, the 2011 recipient of Canada's Sovereign Award for champion 3-year-old filly has been retired. She is one of only five fillies to capture both the Woodbine Oaks and the Queen's Plate.
A recent outbreak of EHV-1 at Woodbine Racetrack, has caused Park Stud to end the breeding this year for all its stallions. There has been no detection of the virus at Park Stud, closing early is a preventative measure.
Woodbine in Ontario, Canada, has been re-accredited by the National Thoroughbred Racing Association Safety and Integrity Alliance, officials announced April 2.
How long will racino operators, legislators support racing's side of the business? read blog
The NTRA announced March 29 that Woodbine Racetrack has been fully accredited by the NTRA Safety and Integrity Alliance. The Ontario, Canada track received 'best practice' ratings in several areas.
The Canadian Thoroughbred Horse Society (Ontario Division) unveiled the 2008 Thoroughbred Improvement Program (TIP), following approval of the Ontario Racing Commission. Valued at $9.6 million, the TIP includes increases in breeders award distributions, overnight stakes races, and the introduction of a new OSS stakes award program.
Most Popular Stories
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- Rosario Rides General a Rod in Florida Derby
- McGaughey Encouraged by Honor Code's Effort
- Effort to Resolve Virginia Dates Fails Again
- Game On Dude Heads World's Best Racehorses
- Woodbine Announces 2014 Stakes Schedule
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- Jockey Von Rosen Suffers Serious Injury
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta