An exercise rider at Woodbine Racetrack in Toronto was killed during training hours June 24 after a horse collapsed on him.
Prominent U.S. and Canadian owner-breeder Eugene Melnyk announced June 11 his retirement from the sport of horse racing, with his racing and breeding stock to be dispersed July 14 at Fasig-Tipton Kentucky.
The Jockey Club of Canada's Graded Stakes Committee held its annual review of the graded and listed stakes in Canada and while the number of graded stakes in Canada remains unchanged at 43 there is one notable downgrade.
Inglorious, the 2011 recipient of Canada's Sovereign Award for champion 3-year-old filly has been retired. She is one of only five fillies to capture both the Woodbine Oaks and the Queen's Plate.
A recent outbreak of EHV-1 at Woodbine Racetrack, has caused Park Stud to end the breeding this year for all its stallions. There has been no detection of the virus at Park Stud, closing early is a preventative measure.
Woodbine in Ontario, Canada, has been re-accredited by the National Thoroughbred Racing Association Safety and Integrity Alliance, officials announced April 2.
How long will racino operators, legislators support racing's side of the business? read blog
The NTRA announced March 29 that Woodbine Racetrack has been fully accredited by the NTRA Safety and Integrity Alliance. The Ontario, Canada track received 'best practice' ratings in several areas.
The Canadian Thoroughbred Horse Society (Ontario Division) unveiled the 2008 Thoroughbred Improvement Program (TIP), following approval of the Ontario Racing Commission. Valued at $9.6 million, the TIP includes increases in breeders award distributions, overnight stakes races, and the introduction of a new OSS stakes award program.
Most Popular Stories
- Competitive Edge Super Sharp in Hopeful Romp
- Miss Serendipity, Blanc Snatch Yellow Ribbon
- Del Mar Trainers to Hop in Bouncey Ball Race
- Sharp Sensation Edges Ben's Cat in 'Monster
- Cary Street Rides Rail to Greenwood Surprise
- Protonico Surges in Smarty Jones for Pletcher
- Fall Meet at Los Alamitos Begins Sept. 5
- Ring Weekend at Home on Turf in Saranac Win
- Belmont Fall Championship Meet Opens Sept. 5
- Munirah Arrives Late for Boiling Springs Win