If all goes well, two-time Horse of the Year Wise Dan will begin his road to the Breeders' Cup World Championships in the $250,000 Bernard Baruch Handicap (gr. IIT) at Saratoga Race Course on Aug. 30.
Unleashing a strong turn of foot entering the stretch, longshot Riding the River rallied from last to first under jockey Todd Kabel to post an upset in the King Edward Stakes Presented by TVG (Can-IIT).
Two durable campaigners from the Roger Attfield stable engaged in a thrilling stretch-long duel in the Singspiel Stakes (Can-IIIT), with 10-year-old Musketier emerging on top by a head over 7-year-old Simmard.
Woodbine Entertainment Group has announced that one of its premier races will be sponsored by technology company Ricoh Canada under a two-year agreement.
Churchill Downs' 2006 Kentucky Oaks Future Wager enters its fourth year with no clear individual favorite for the track's prestigious grade I race for 3-year-old fillies, so the mutuel field has been installed as the solid 7-2 morning line choice as the wager opens its Jan. 26-29 run.
- By Ron Mitchell
Woodbine Racecourse canceled Sunday racing as a result of an overnight fire in two barns on the track's backetretch. Track officials said some horses were believed to have died in the 3 a.m. blaze in barns 7 and 7A but additional details were not immediately available.
Racing and breeding news and information.
Most Popular Stories
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen for Jan. 27, 2015
- Final Call for Taylors of Seattle Slew Fame
- Washington Owner/Breeder Paxton Dead at 76
- Jockey Chapa Faces Felony Race-Fixing Charges
- Nerud-Owned and Bred Colt Wins at Big A
- Jan. 28 Live Racing at Aqueduct Canceled
- Barretts Gross Up; Average, Median Decline
- The Week in Photos for 1/27/2015
- Keeping Pace: Upstart Figures to Improve
- New York Sanctions Mott for Drug Overages