Sterwins turned in probably the race of his life when he came from behind to defeat Rahy's Attorney by a head for the Connaught Cup (Can-IIIT) while setting a course record at Woodbine last month. The question in the upcoming $300,000 King Edward Stakes (Can-IIT) is whether the Eugene Melnyk homebred can do it again.
Juddmonte Farms' Ventura has a good chance at becoming the first filly to win the $1-million Woodbine Mile (Can-IT) Sept. 7, but standing in her way is IEAH Stables' Kip Deville, widely regarded as the best turf miler in North America.
Tucci Stables' Just Rushing, who missed by less than a length in last year's Play the King Stakes (Can-IIIT), would not be denied in the 2008 edition of the $215,600 turf event, as he shook clear in mid-stretch and went on to win by 1 1/4 lengths Aug. 23 at Woodbine.
After Heros Reward's aggressive front-running win in the $200,000 Scotts Highlander Stakes (Can-III), Maryland-based trainer Dale Capuano must be wondering why he would leave Woodbine, where his 6-year-old gelding has banked more than $460,000 in earnings in three starts on the turf.
After successfully invading Canada twice last year for Maryland-based trainer Dale Capuano, Heros Reward appears to be the one to beat in a contentious group for the $200,000 Scotts Highlander Stakes (Can-III) on the Woodbine grass course June 22.
Most Popular Stories
- Big Three Clash in Rich Travers Stakes
- Live Saratoga Weekend Coverage from HRRN
- Filly is First Winner for Justenuffhumor
- Captain Serious, Empire Dreams Head Showcase
- Pedigree Analysis: Bayern
- Chrome Set for Pennsylvania Derby Return
- Which Game On Dude Will Show Up in Classic?
- CHRB Amends Fee Scale for Losing Jockeys
- Obviously Targets Del Mar Mile Three-Peat
- Shared Belief Favored in Pacific Classic