Records were matched, streaks continued, and favorites ruled the 15th annual Louisiana Champions Day Saturday at the Fair Grounds meet at Harrah's Louisiana Downs. Badtotheboneandrew, at odds of 4-1, posted the day's biggest payoff in the $150,000 Classic.
Witt Ante, winner of the 2004 Louisiana Champions Day Classic, looks for a repeat in the $150,000 centerpiece of the first major event of the Fair Ground meet Saturday at Harrah's Louisiana Downs.
The Louisiana Thoroughbred Breeders Association has announced the winners of the 2004 horse of the year awards, voted on by association members.
On a Louisiana Champions Day that produced mostly odds-on favorite winners, Witt Ante stole the show with a gutsy gate-to-wire performance in the $150,000 Classic Saturday at Fair Grounds.
Racing for the first time on the grass, 16-1 shot Zarb's Music cashed in with a solid victory over the Stall-Wilson turf course in the $100,000 Gentilly Handicap Saturday at Fair Grounds.
Multiple Louisiana-bred stakes winner Witt Ante makes his first career start on turf in the $100,000 Gentilly Handicap for 3-year-olds Saturday at Fair Grounds.
Trainer Larry Robideaux, who believed Witt Ante should have been undefeated going into Saturday's $75,000 Crescent City Derby at Fair Grounds, showed his confidence was not misplaced thanks to his colt's 2 3/4-length win in the 1 1/16-mile test for Louisiana-bred 3-year-olds.
Histoire Sainte's love affair with the Fair Grounds turf course continued on Friday as she cruised home to win the $75,000 Furl Sail Handicap by 1 ½ lengths over Quick Tip.
Most Popular Stories
- Game On Dude, Won Three Big 'Caps, Retired
- Sherman Says 'Chrome' Looks as Good as Ever
- Top Filly Princess of Sylmar Retired
- California Chrome Draws Rail in PA Derby
- Big Gains Mark Keeneland Sale's Day 11
- Illinois Board Has Tough Call on 2015 Dates
- Undrafted Returns in Kentucky Downs Turf Dash
- Top Stallion Street Cry Dead at Age 16
- Pedigree Analysis: Inbreeding Trends
- Filly First Winner for Line of David